Incorrect Error Message - User Edits

17 years 10 months ago #14605 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Incorrect Error Message - User Edits
bdkyle wrote:

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your willingness to help fix this potential bug.

It doesn't say anything beyond what I already provided, but here's a partial screen grab sent in by a user.

Any advice?

Post edited by: bdkyle, at: 2006/06/02 11:08

Post edited by: bdkyle, at: 2006/06/02 11:11

"Interesting message..." :S rather strange.

Even more useful than the screenshot would be the URL of the browser when this message is displayed.

It looks to be user/browser-dependant, so also the browser-version & OS-type and any info on ad-blocker/etc/browser-extensions could be useful.

Moving this thread to "bugs" forum.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 10 months ago #14657 by bdkyle
Replied by bdkyle on topic Re:Incorrect Error Message - User Edits
Hi Beat,

Thanks for moving this thread to the "bugs" forum. Feel free to delete the other message that I posted in the "bugs" forum, as with this post each will provide the same info.

I was hesistant to report this as a "bug" figuring that it was far more likely that I made a configuration error of some type or it was a user error.

However, I've received five reports and two essentially identical screenshots, which out of the total number of users is microscopic, but it's still troubling to those who have reported it. I haven't been able to reproduce the error myself.

Of the users who reported the error, so far only two have provided information on their browser/OS combo, and those are:

OmniWeb 5.5sp12 on MacOS X 10.4.6 (A rather obscure browser)

and

Safari 1.3.1 on MacOS X 10.3.9 (A rather mainstream browser among Mac users)

One of the other users sent his message via a web form that collected he was using Windows XP, but it's possible he experienced the error on another computer.

When I have more information, I'll post again. If anyone else has seen this error, please jump in and share. Thank you.

17 years 10 months ago #15714 by bdkyle
Not surprisingly, sadly, people are far more likely to complain than to be willing to help fix the problem, but here's what I've been able to figure out...

Out of the handful of initial problem reports, two users were willing to try again with another browser and edit their profile info successfully. One either didn't have or was unwilling to try another browser, and the others didn't reply to two requests to provide more info. I also received two reports of a different problem than the one I originally reported that also was resolved by using another browser.

So...

While using Safari on MacOS X and the Sophos anti-virus program installed, a user received the contradictory error message upon updating their profile. The user did not try another browser.

While using Safari with the PDF Browser Plugin , two users reported the error message. Each was able to update their profiles and not receive the error message while using Firefox.

Two users subsequently reported that they were unable to login *at all* while using Safari with the Saft plugin installed. Each was able to login using Firefox.

It's still a really small sample size, but it seems that there may be a conflict between Community Builder and the plugin architecture used by Safari. There is also the possibility that the conflict might be between Joomla and Safari.

Please let me know if you need anything else and I'll do my best to provide more info.

17 years 10 months ago #15825 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Incorrect Error Message - User Edits
Thanks for the report. I will also try saft, looks cool ;)

Let us know when you get hold of the url which displays that message... ;)

Yeah, I know, it's always easier to complain then to help... :D

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

17 years 10 months ago #15900 by bdkyle
Hi Beat,

Sorry about the URL omission. In all cases, regardless of browser or error message displayed, the URL is:

http://domainname/component/option,com_comprofiler/Itemid,1/?mosmsg=Your+settings+have+been+saved

17 years 8 months ago #18859 by bdkyle
I received one more report of this error today, from a user who reported the following configuration:

Browser is IE version 6.0 (whatever the newest version is - I keep that up to date)
Windows XP
Windows firewall (comes with XP)
Plugins... X-Active, Ebay Toolbar, Google search, Mapquest toolbar, Webferret search, Spybot SD... there might be a couple others I've forgotten, but I've never had a problem with these before that I am aware of and I've had them all for a while now.

This one is quite different from the others. Any ideas?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn