UddeIM Causes Server Lag & Slows Down Site

17 years 7 months ago #21112 by HolmesSPH
I have been using UddeIM for about 6 months... Perhaps longer...

The more messages in the UddeIM database the slower the site went and the more the server had lag... But not like one second of lag, at this point I can click inbox, and have to wait ten or more seconds before It loads.

I had similar issues with MyPMS Pro before it went to Clexus, except that the problem was during sending messages...

My site has over 31,000 + members, and gets ALOT of traffic..

I have TWO dedicated servers, one for MySQL, and one for HTTPD, and I STILL experience this horrible lag...

When I check the slow query log, MOST of the slow queries are from UddeIM..

I have tried to optimize the queries in the UddeIM code, and where appropriate I have set the queries to "LIMIT 1" to make sure it doesn't keep searching for more matches once it's found what it's looking for.

I have also tried turning OFF user Avatars and unfortunately it's still horribly slow...

I know there has got to be a way to fix this problem, but I just don't know where else to search!

Any help would be greatly apprecaited! :blink:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 7 months ago #21141 by nant
Are you sure its UddeIM related?

Here on JP we also use UddeIM and have alot of traffic and many users.

(we also now have a dedicated server but things were not that bad before on a shared host).

17 years 1 month ago #33285 by mattioi
Replied by mattioi on topic Re:UddeIM Causes Server Lag & Slows Down Site
I am interested if you found an answer to this? I am running into the same issue myself. I have a site with 30k ish members and my largest database *.MYD file seems to be 'jos_uddeim.MYD'.

Private msg'n is a big part of any community driven websites. What alternatives have you found?

Thanks,

(I hope thats enough ;) )

Post edited by: mattioi, at: 2008/05/22 16:30

17 years 1 month ago #33312 by HolmesSPH
Replied by HolmesSPH on topic Re:UddeIM Causes Server Lag & Slows Down Site
Well I went about this problem several ways...

First I found out that UddeIM KILLS the DB if you turn on alot of date and reminder functions... Poorly written queries, and personaly I wish I had time to re-write most of the queries in UddeIM...

However, I DID find out that my DB locking was being caused by the Sessions table... It was just flat out to much traffic for a MyISAM table in my opinion..

Because the table is MyISAM and uses table locks instead of row level locking, it was reacking havock on my DB and DB server..

SO, I changed the table type to InnoDB...and I did the same for ALL of my highly used tabled such as the UddeIM tables, and the com_profiler tables, and the plethora of other tables I use for various profile information..

HELPED A BUNCH!

I was still have some trouble intermitently with DB locking up on the server requireing a reboot... So I changed the _sessions table to HEAP which is RAM only, which took away my problem, and gave the site yet another boost!

Recently, I finally turned off SEF in the config... It was my last choice to squeeze more out of my DB server, and it took the queries down almost in half in some instances..

I WILL stil have to go to a multi-DB server setup here soon to handle the ever increasing traffic, and data storage issues, but for now, the site s running leaner then it ever has been!

17 years 1 month ago #33313 by mattioi
Replied by mattioi on topic Re:UddeIM Causes Server Lag & Slows Down Site
Very helpfull thanks!!!

What is your site by the way? I would love to pick you brain about some of the bridges you've crossed using Joomla. I am at the point of seperating my db to another server currently.

17 years 1 month ago #33373 by HolmesSPH
Replied by HolmesSPH on topic Re:UddeIM Causes Server Lag & Slows Down Site
Its MyPraize.com

Its running on two massive dedicated servers, and I have ALOT of components that I've made my self, and a severely hacked version of Comprofiler Enhanced with UddeIM.

If there is anything else you need, or advice let me knkow

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.968 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn