How to make Joomla and phpbb share one DB?

17 years 11 months ago #14085 by MikeDLA
Replied by MikeDLA on topic Re:How to make Joomla and phpbb share one DB?
OK so I have followed the instructions and I think I have phpbb and joomla using the same MySQL DB.
I have synched the users and admins between CB and phpbb
I get the "Both Admin usernames and passwords match." message in the phpbb connector control panel.

Problem: CB/phpbb connector is not logging me in properly to the forum. When I log into my Joomla site via CB (I have super admin rights), the phpbb forum shows me as being one of the users who is "online". However the "Log In" option in phpbb is showing (rather than "Log out" and my name) so it seems I am not actually logged into phbb...

Plus there is no "Go to Administration panel" link at the bottom of phpbb even though I am the admin - so it seems I am not logged in to phpbb via CB even though phpbb shows me as one of the "online" users. I have checked this by opening my forum directly in a browser at mydomain.com/forum and logging in with the same login and password i.e. not logging in via CB. In this instance I am truly logged in as admin and I can get into the admin panel etc and the top of the forum says "Log out" and my name.

The only hint I have that there might be a config problem is that when I go into Joomla Admin and Components>CB>PluginManagement the phpbb connector section called "parameters" seems to be missing a couple of options. Next to "phpBB settings" is a gray line and next to "Synchronization" is a gray line. Is this normal?
The plugin control panel seems to work fine (via pop up window)

Any thoughts on how I can be truly "logged in" to phpbb via CB? Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 11 months ago #14118 by MikeDLA
I tried again recently (10hrs+ after last problem) and it worked one time: I logged into Joomla site with CB using a basic user ID (not my admin ID) and when I clicked on my forum menu item the forum loaded in its wrapper and the user was logged into phpbb (yippee!). phpbb even said "Log Out [username]"

Then I logged the user out of the Joomla site (using the CB logout button). When I tried to repeat the above I am back to the same problem: the user is logged into the site via CB and shows in phpbb as being "online" but the Log In/Log out part of phpbb is incorrect. It is not showing "log out [username]" like it should if the user was truly "logged in".

Things that make you go Hmmm...

17 years 11 months ago #14263 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:How to make Joomla and phpbb share one DB?
MikeDLA,

Still having trouble with this?

If so the PM me some info on how I can go into the admin side and look around... may need to know how to get to the phpMyAdmin for the DB as well... PM the info instead of posting it here...

Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

17 years 11 months ago #14278 by MikeDLA
Yep still having the problem.
Thanks for the offer to help.
Have sent you a PM.

Mike

17 years 11 months ago #14326 by MikeDLA
For anyone following this thread...
It turns out my problem with the "CB login that wasn't a phpbb login" was limited to FireFox on one PC. Deleting the cookies seemed to fix it although having multiple Firefox windows open might still be causing problems. I don't think the issues are related to the connector.
Thanks to Greg for helping me with this.
Mike

17 years 6 months ago #22441 by mysterieus2000
Replied by mysterieus2000 on topic Re:How to make Joomla and phpbb share one DB?
geeffland wrote:

MikeDLA,

I guess the first question: Do you have an FTP program that you know how to use or a WebShell (or similar) that you can upload files to the website with?

Assuming yes... you will need to find out the Joomla database, username, and password...

To get these you can go to the admin side of Joomla... Select the menu Site - Global Configuration then click on the Database tab. That will show you all but the password... write down all of the items in that tab...

To get the password you can look at the configuration.php file (it also has the other data above)... look for $mosConfig_password

Then with that data in hand... proceed to setup phpBB

First, download phpBB from www.phpbb.com (downloads)

Second, unzip into a directory on your local machine

Third, FTP/Upload those files and directories to your website in a subdirectory (Plugin's default is the 'forum' directory at the root of your site... but you can put it where you like as long as you update the forum directory parameter)

Fourth, Using a webbrowser go to the directoy on your website... an install script will automatically start and ask you for the data above plus some other data... most should be self explanatory. Make sure to install it in the same database as Joomla (while keeping the default prefix of phpbb_)... NOTE DO NOT USE THE SAME PREFIX AS JOOMLA... doing this will overwrite some of Joomla's tables. Preference is to use same admin username and password as Joomla... but I don't think it is required to be the same.

Fifth, following the install directions you will also remove some directories of the forum (contrib and install I think)

Sixth, Now phpBB is installed... now go into Joomla's admin side and add a menu link to phpbb... use either the Wrapper Link or URL link... either should work.

Seventh, Install CB if you have not done so already... follow all directions including the LOGIN module

Eigth, install the phpbb connector and modify its parameters as needed.

Last, Synchronize any users by using the Connector Control Panel located on Plugin Parameters for the plugin... any newly confirmed users will be synchronized automatically...

Go to developer.joomla.org/sf/frs/do/viewRelease/projects.phpbb_connector/frs.phpbb_connector_patches.version_1_0_2

To download any necessary patched for Version 1.0.2... FTP them up like you did for phpBB replacing the indicated file (README.TXT on that link has some descriptions of what the patches do)

Hope this helps,
Greg

Hallo,
This is a very good explanation.
But I have still a question : how do I install this connector (8) - Do you have a link somewhere, where it is explained ?

Thank you

Daniella

EDIT : Sorry I found it out by myself. I did't know that ou called this a plugin. It seems to work know. thank you

Post edited by: mysterieus2000, at: 2006/10/12 03:08

Moderators: beatnantgeefflandmartijn189krileon
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn