Forum integration

17 years 5 months ago #24857 by fast
Forum integration was created by fast
I just wanted to make a post saying that I have done quite a bit of manual hacking of phpbb files on my site to properly get things integrated.

I am not using your plugin, rather, I am using one made by the guy over at www.mehdiplugins.com/misc/phpbbjoom.htm which works with comunity builder with some minor hacks of his code. I haven't really started taking a look at your work yet. But one thing that his setup does really well is direct integration. It is a wrapper of sorts, but it works in a totally different way. Maybe you have seen this stuff, but that to me is a key element.

I hacked my phpbb so that all the profile links on the forums link back to the CB profiles. I am also in the process of writing a script that will allow me to use the CB profiles to alter my forum user profiles settings (things like signatures, and what not).

I don't know if your script does that, but to me it is pretty essential to have the ability to edit the forum settings and profile information right from comunity builder. Does yours do that? I am afraid to install it right now because I don't want to screw anything up. I may take a look at it though later with a test site on a different server.

Granted, his method requires quite a bit of overall php hacking, but it looks better in regard to the end product.

Just throwing it out there. Chow!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #24893 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:Forum integration
I had looked at his work when it was early in the development... at that time it had a lot of hacking and manual SQL calls that needed to be done... seemed like a lot to do... Have recently downloaded to take a peek at what he is doing that is like the wrapper but it not the wrapper... Have not done so yet... just downloaded but have not had time to look.

A lot of the things you are asking for is in the v2.0.0 release which is nearing its second Alpha release.

Profile links... see the link modification post at the top of this forum... it is probably doing the same things you have done already with your forum...

Integration... with v2.0.0 I have created a modified version of the wrapper (slightly modified) that connects with the CB Connector (v2.0.0) and will allow wrapping the forum as well as allowing the links in the user profile to link either to the wrapper, the same window, or a new window.

phpbb Profile data... v2.0.0 has a tab which shows the phpbb profile data in your user profile.. .and when editing your CB profile there is a tab where you can edit your phpbb profile data as well... (then it will be sent to the phpbb tables... not stored twice i.e. in CB and in phpbb)

(admin) Forum settings... still need to go thru phpbb... feels like there is too many settings in phpbb to push them all into CB. If this turns out to be a must then I would probably compromise and see if it was possible to start an admin session and then link to the admin setup screen.

Make sure you look at the requirements for this plugin... no hacking should be needed but currently it does require phpbb and cb to be in the same **database** and **website**

Sounds like you have some php and phpbb skills... currently looking for Alpha testers of v2.0.0... if interested signup at cbconnector.com and we will set you up with a new copy when it releases (either this weekend or early next week)

Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

17 years 5 months ago #24903 by jrjr
Replied by jrjr on topic Re:Forum integration
I am also using Mendhi's integration for PHPBB and one issue I do not like is with pictures. If a large picture is posted part of it will not be viewable. It doesn't really break the forum or make the forum wider its just the picture thats partly not viewable. Ive seen some mods out there that will add a scroll bar to the picture itself which may be an option but a better fix I think is to limit the picture size. I like the idea of changing the PHPBB profile links to go back to the CB profile... nice idea.

Moderators: beatnantgeefflandmartijn189krileon
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds