mehdi's bridge vs. connector?

16 years 10 months ago #39589 by Martinrazk
mehdi's bridge vs. connector? was created by Martinrazk
hi guys.

I started looking into CB because I want to expand my community inter-knowledge. Knowledge of eachother. Location, name, etc etc.

I came across the connector and my first thought was.. whoa.. can I use this instead of mehdi's joombridge which works.. . most of the time.

Here's what I have:

joomla 1.0.12 located here: www.akvarieplanter.dk/index.php
phpbb2 2.0.22 located here: www.akvarieplanter.dk/forum/

here's what I want:

Joomla and phpbb2 integration
1. user registers on the joomla frontpage.
2. no need to register on forum. When you register on Joomla FP, it updates the user tables in phpbb2. And inputs data in the forum profile(Or alternatively, the profile only exists in 1 place, and that place is either joomla or phpbb2)

Usage of all phpbb2 mods
1. I hate that the joomengine from mehdi's bridge fcuks with so many files in phpbb2 that are required by different mods. There are SO many mods that I really want to use, but cannot because of the bridge.

The ability to force users to input certain info upon registration
1. I run and update a map of all my users(manually) using Gmaps. I have to chase my users around asking them to input location, name etc. in their forum profile.

guide for migrating away from mehdi's joombridge
1. If CB and the connector can help me with these issues, I'm Game! I'm your biggest fan!!!
But I need help.
My Joomla & phpbb experience is limited. I know _some_ but not so much that I can come up with code. I can "find/add/replace" all day long, but figuring out which files do what, and why is NOT a skill I have.

I really hope you'll give me some positive feedback, so I can escape the reign of joombridge's 'NoToCoolModsinPHP'

Thx,

Martin

oh, and the site in question is in Danish, and for aquatic geeks.!§

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #39598 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:mehdi's bridge vs. connector?
Currently there are 2 versions on the connector

phpbb Connector v1.0.3 (available to general public)

and

CB Connector v2 which I am coding Alpha 5 at the moment.

Info can be found

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/id,13817/catid,34/

and

cbconnector.com

Your registration mods (i.e. requiring extra input) is a CB function. Currently the connector does not populate phpbb profile (additional) fields with extra CB fields... it populates username, password, and email... and version 2 currently allows you to modify your (built-in) phpbb profile fields from the CB profile.... Currently I am coding Alpha 5 to support phpbb3 which has custom fields built-in... in the future I plan on allowing the admin to map custom CB fields with custom phpbb3 fields which I am assuming will allow them to show up on posts, etc... (but that will be a while for this mapping feature)

I have not dug into Medhi's plugin much except for a quick peek at how he was integrating phpbb into Joomla (i.e. modding the index.php, etc files)... so not sure how much help I can be on the migration... Also the current v1.0.3 requires that phpbb and CB/Joomla be in the same database (which I think is the same for Medhi's bridge)... The next Alpha release (5) will allow separate databases for either phpbb2 or phpbb3 forums.

However, if you can get your phpbb back to a stand-alone forum then that is all you need to use the connector (as long as in same DB and website... see FAQs mentioned above)

It seems like Mail2Forum has some issues but I think most other phpbb MODS work (no guarantee though)... however the connector does not require any hacks to phpbb to work.

hope this helps,
Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

16 years 10 months ago #39788 by Martinrazk
Replied by Martinrazk on topic Re:mehdi's bridge vs. connector?
Hi greg.

I got it sorted. I think.

thanks for the info.

If you need a perspective that doesn't know a thing about coding on your alpha release, let me know. I'll even do you a language file in Danish.

16 years 10 months ago #39830 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:mehdi's bridge vs. connector?
I would be interested in a Danish language file... I just updated the language files for Alpha 5 on CB Connector.com... just go to the downloads area and you should see 2 downloads for language files... download, update for Danish and post either on the forum here or at cbconnector.com.

Thanks,
Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

16 years 10 months ago #39831 by Martinrazk
Replied by Martinrazk on topic Re:mehdi's bridge vs. connector?
line 38 you have

"

when the log into or out of CB

"

should be when they

Moderators: beatnantgeefflandmartijn189krileon
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn