Problem with Remember me in CB login

15 years 8 months ago #71809 by John37309
Replied by John37309 on topic Re:Problem with Remember me in CB login
p999 wrote:

I’m having a problem with CB login. It’s not remembering the user details. I have to type user name and password every time.

It works, provided I keep the same browser open, but if I close the browser, and start afresh, the login info is lost.

This occurs on both my live site, and on the test site I run on my PC (localhost)

I’ve done a search on these forums – previous posts indicates this is not a CB problem. However, I can make things work, by disabling CB login, and publishing the standard Joomla login. That points to a problem within CB login.

Any help is appreciated.

Joomla 1.5.0 RC1
Community Builder 1.1.0

My problem is exactly the same as yours p999.

I also searched this forum and i tried accessing my site with the WWW and without the WWW in my website domain and it makes no difference. Once the browser is closed, i have to login again.

On my website, i also have a forum on mysite.com/forum and the forum cookie remembers me fine. So its a CB thing alright.

I normally use IE browser, but i have tried with firefox, opera and Safari with no success.

John.

Post edited by: John37309, at: 2008/08/20 21:15

Post edited by: John37309, at: 2008/08/20 21:16

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #71815 by Swiftek
Replied by Swiftek on topic Re:Problem with Remember me in CB login
Welcome to our nightmare, John.

CB says it's an issue with the Joomla 1.5 Legacy Plugin.

Joomla says it's a CB issue.

Some say that the new CB that costs $30 per year fixes this problem, but I'm not so sure.

There is a lot of debate here about ditching CB for some other community system due to the bizarre lack of support for non-paying users.

Meanwhile, we wait...:whistle:

Got Tech?

15 years 8 months ago #72319 by p9939068
Replied by p9939068 on topic Re:Problem with Remember me in CB login
Swiftek wrote:

Some say that the new CB that costs $30 per year fixes this problem, but I'm not so sure.

There is a lot of debate here about ditching CB for some other community system due to the bizarre lack of support for non-paying users.

What rubbish. CB is free, there is no "$30 per year" version. If you're referring to 1.2, it will be out - free for you - once it's a stable release. I'd be surprise if you can find any other community extension that provides this level of support.

As for the login problem, you may try "hide checked" for the Remember-me checkbox setting. Also (and this is important), make sure you access your site with EXACTLY the same URL as you have in your Joomla's live site setting. eg, if your live site setting is www.domain.com, don't access your site with domain.com (while logging in, surfing, and/or logging out). Don't bother "trying" with both www or non-www, it's pointless. You either access it with your live site, or you're doing it wrong, period.

Extending from the previous point, search engines like google specifically penalize websites with double extry points (ie, if both www.domain.com and domain.com can access your website, and you have other websites linking to your site with the 2 different domain formats, then you're in SEF trouble). ALWAYS use your htaccess file to do a 301 redirect from non-www to www (or vice versa depending, again, on your Joomla live site setting.

Post edited by: p9939068, at: 2008/08/27 00:19

Mike Feng
Creator of SIMGallery, SIMAnswers, and ParaInvite
www.simbunch.com
twitter.com/simbunch

15 years 8 months ago #72390 by Swiftek

As for the login problem, you may try "hide checked" for the Remember-me checkbox setting. Also (and this is important), make sure you access your site with EXACTLY the same URL as you have in your Joomla's live site setting. eg, if your live site setting is www.domain.com, don't access your site with domain.com (while logging in, surfing, and/or logging out). Don't bother "trying" with both www or non-www, it's pointless. You either access it with your live site, or you're doing it wrong, period.

Tried that.

Checked that.

Not using SEF, still.

Got Tech?

15 years 8 months ago #72396 by Feendish
Replied by Feendish on topic Re:Problem with Remember me in CB login
Did you try my solution (see post below) Swiftek?

15 years 8 months ago #72398 by Swiftek
Feendish wrote:

I think I've solved the problem (on my site anyway). To recap the problem: If the user chose "Remember Me" and logged in then closed their browser and came back at a later time, the user would appear to be logged out. BUT if they refreshed the page they magically are logged in again.

The solution:
1. Make sure mod_cblogin is installed correctly.
2. Make sure mod_login (the one supplied with Joomla is disabled).
3. Insert the following code at the top of your templates index.php file or AFTER the global declarations in the mod_cblogin.php file.

[code:1]<?php
$user =& JFactory::getUser(); //Grab the Joomla 1.5.x user details object
if ((!$my->id)&&($user->id)){ //If the legacy array is not populated but user is still logged in according to Joomla 1.5.x,
foreach ($user as $key => $value) { //loop through 1.5.x user object
$my->$key=$value; //and copy 1.5.x object value to same key in 1.0.x object.
}
}

?>[/code:1]

The issue seems to be that the $my object is not being populated until the page is refreshed. What the code above does is checks that (a) the user is stilled logged in according to the newer 1.5.x $user object and (b) the legacy 1.0.x $my object is empty. It then copies the $user values into the $my values as both objects contain the same keys. Hope this works. I'm sure someone will suggest a cleaner fix.

I was waiting for an "official" or "cleaner" fix from the CB folks here, but I guess they have all their eggs in the 1.2 basket.

As soon as GoDaddy fixes their FTP server, I'll give this a try and report back here. Thanks!

Got Tech?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn