Error

Please login first

whats the delay?

15 years 8 months ago #73254 by tommyhome
whats the delay? was created by tommyhome
Hi,
What is the delay for the new CB 1.2 about anyway, if it don't come out within reasonable time, there is little point at all, since Joomla 1.5 will be Joomla 2.0 in this pace.

It looks like a nice addon, but I wouldn't install a RC on a livesite, and since joomla dont handle stuff that you build for and are the defacto standard extension for my options are now starting to run out, in other words leave joomla behind, and use another system, that out of the box supports usermanagement/community building.

I wouldn't mind paying for it when it is final, but paying to get access to a release candidate for a product that has no relase date, is something that in my eyes looks shady.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #73258 by peterman1002
Replied by peterman1002 on topic Re:whats the delay?
I agree. I have even considered switching to Drupal because of this. However, the only thing holding me back is not finding a good community building extension with all of the features that Community Builder has available for Drupal. Unless somebody knows....

15 years 8 months ago #73295 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:whats the delay?
We are still working intensively on CB 1.2 stable and on core CB team plugins.

There is no delay, just lots of work to make things extra-solid in the code to make it ready.

You can take a detailed look at the list of identified issues of CB 1.2 RC 2 (it's a sub-forum in here), to see if you can live with those issues or proposed fixes, but this site runs CB 1.2 RC 2, and quite some other major live sites too.

Imho, CB 1.2 RC 2 has still quite less issues than any other previous CB and than many other "declared stable" extensions, and is usable on live sites, but you need to take your own decision.

We are currently talking weeks, not months and not days, for CB 1.2 stable, and the upgrades are and will be smooth.

So there is no need to wait, no need to rush, it's really your choice. But also no need to bang.

Re "paying" for final vs RC: you shouldn't consider this documentation subscription as a payment for a software product, as you are paying for a documentation subscription to support the project, and get free extra bonuses as a thank-you.

If you don't mind paying, then you can safely pay now, and enjoy a whole year of thank-you bonuses in return for your support to this project, and have a head-start on your site.

If you are not in a rush, or don't feel secure about your decision or payment, then you can just wait a few weeks for CB 1.2 stable release, and see if the time saved by the documentation and the bonuses available then are worth for you, or simply pay then as a thank-you in return of the free software :)

There are many things coming which will make you better understand the long wait ;)

CB is a basis framework for over 100 CB plugins, and integrates with probably even more other extensions, so we can't have fast release cycles, and stable releases must stay a solid stable basis with a solid framework.

So in addition of developing, there is lots of interaction with other projects (e.g. GroupJive, and other major extensions) going on right now, and a consolidation of the infrastructures in here, to make sure that things are all really ready when CB is ready.

Hope this clarifies the "delay" and a few misunderstandings.

Now of course, you can also help lowering a little bit the delay by helping in the forum (we spend lots of time replying and helping in here), or by subscribing to the documentation (yes, that allows us putting more time on the project, reducing delay and enhancing features). OR: you can take any of the latest known issues, and post a fix proposal in the forum... As you see there are many ways to help and lower the delay :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 8 months ago #73403 by Algirdas
Replied by Algirdas on topic Re:whats the delay?
will it work on native mode on j1.5?

will it work good with fireboard?

15 years 8 months ago #73419 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:whats the delay?
Algirdas wrote:

will it work on native mode on j1.5?

will it work good with fireboard?

2 times yes:

- 1.5 native, 1.0 native, mambo native, same way as 1.2 RC 2 available today. :-)

- works already fine with fireboard, there is only one known issue listed in known issues forum, with a detailed fix pointed to.

So: already very usable today :) .

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 8 months ago #73707 by Algirdas
Replied by Algirdas on topic Re:whats the delay?
thanks, for information

its very interesting how you make them all native -

will you release 3 separate versions?

or it'll have all legacy files in it, and native just means you don't need to enable legacy?

Post edited by: Algirdas, at: 2008/09/09 00:04

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds