advice please?

15 years 3 weeks ago #95949 by Aly
advice please? was created by Aly
I've got a Joomla 1.0 site running CB 1.1
I just purchased CBSubs! (YAY!)

I have over 1500 people on the user list, but only about 2/3rds of those are currently active (paid) members.

I have been enabling/disabling access manually for the past 3 years based on their payment status.

What is the best method of handling an upgrade and installation and so forth?

Note that I am going to need to enter different expiration dates for all users current (this info is not currently in my joomla/cb database but a separate, excel file) as well.

Should I:

Create a new Joomla 1.5 site with a clean install of CB and then migrate the data over after installing Subs?

Or upgrade my current 1.1 CB to 1.2, install Subs and then upgrade the joomla site to 1.5?

Soo confused ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 3 weeks ago #95984 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:advice please?
No need to upgrade to joomla 1.5 now.

Need to upgrade CB to 1.2 STABLE.

Then can install CBSubs and use the Import function in the mode that also imports date (from a CSV file).

But first of all, take the time to read the fine manual of CBSubs, CBSubs is a your "money-making beast" that you need to understand and dompt, the tool to do that is the manual. :D

Read about importing in manual (after having read rest).

This thread may help too with useful advices:
www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,87/id,95089/#95089

---

Separate subject: upgrading to joomla 1.5: yes you can too. First upgrade CB to 1.2 Stable, then use mtwmigrator tool (search forum here and joomla extensions directory for that, and follow the guidelines. Sorry can't support those upgrades here, just plan some good time for a 1.5 migration. It's not a simple upgrade).

---

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 3 weeks ago #96123 by Aly
Replied by Aly on topic Re:advice please?
My real issue/concern is that all of my current users do not have expiration dates at this time so I need to add that column to existing members/users.

So I'm guessing I need to export the current userlist, add the join/expire columns in excel, save to csv then import?

15 years 3 weeks ago #96127 by 3cellhosting
Replied by 3cellhosting on topic Re:advice please?
Hi Aly,

Do not use Excel. If you have any long fields or param fields with multi-line entries then Excel will screw it up.

Use OpenOffice SCalc as this plays nicely with CSV files.

You have been warned (I lost 12 hours of work becuase I did not know this when I did my import). Thanks go to Beat for that tip - it saved me from slashing my wrists :woohoo:

Good luck

David
www.3cellhosting.com - where personality, creativity and integrity come as standard.

15 years 3 weeks ago #96128 by Aly
Replied by Aly on topic Re:advice please?
ok, I don't use excel anyway ;) I do use open office. I simply meant that I need to download, re-define then import. Is that correct?

And if so ... how do I ensure what the proper fields (column headings) are so I don't waste my time?

I am reading the manual -- even printed it!

15 years 3 weeks ago #96134 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:advice please?
Aly wrote:

ok, I don't use excel anyway ;) I do use open office. I simply meant that I need to download, re-define then import. Is that correct?

And if so ... how do I ensure what the proper fields (column headings) are so I don't waste my time?

I am reading the manual -- even printed it!

8-) Gives a nice book ;) right?

You can also import just the userids in a line separated by commas, that you could export with a query from PHPMyAdmin ;)

No need to use the complete format in that case

select file with userids and commas, select plan, expiration date if any, and import, done.

Of course you should setup completely the plan first, including all integrations, so they get done as if the user would have been subscribing using CBSubs.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds