Do I have to pay CBSubs ... again?

14 years 11 months ago #98768 by jingato
Do I have to pay CBSubs ... again? was created by jingato
First of all, I want to thank you for a much needed plugin package, CBSubs, and also thank you for providing Community Builder for free. I think many web developers owe their gratitude.

We as a company never even flinched at the thought of paying for CBSubs, especially being on a website that is generating revenue. Well worth the money not having to develop something ourselves that would cost us time and money ( and probably not work as well).

We purchased a CBSubs license with a maximum of 500 users. Great. That means we can have up to 500 businesses as paying customer. They can upload their CB profile just like before, but now we can manage their subscription status, plans, payments,etc. It's a win win for all.

However (here it comes)... I do have an issue paying CBSubs for using other software packages that are otherwise free, or which I have already paid for.

Here's a scenario... and please correct me if I am mistaken.

We have a site with up to 500 subscribing members, all businesses that pay us a monthly fee to host their profiles and special deals and services on our site. We market this website on radio, TV, billboards.. whatever and people visit the site to see what offers are on the table.
These visitors are anonymous and come and go as they please.

What happens when we, the site owners want to offer this anonymous visitor the ability to register with us? With their registration, we will offer to show them the "VERY HOTEST DEALS", allow them to save their location information, save their favorite places, to private message other visitors and business owners; and also to post in the forum. Of course, we would also save their demographics for our usage.

Sounds great, so far. We purchased a really cool forum a while back. Community builder has some great features also; all free - private messaging, cool profiles, etc. Joomla, another free package has its benefits too.

The problem is that when a free member registers, this membership counts against our licensed maximum user, 500. Why is that. Why do I have to pay for a larger CBSubs license just to use the software that I have already purchased. If someone registers for a free membership to my site, it really is not a subscription plan... nothing for CBSubs to manage. No revenue for anyone. It should not be counted.

This is not right.
Can someone explain this to me?
Is it me? I hope so.

I am starting to develop a dark place in my mind for CBSubs. Please explain.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #98796 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Do I have to pay CBSubs ... again?
jingato wrote:

Why do I have to pay for a larger CBSubs license just to use the software that I have already purchased. If someone registers for a free membership to my site, it really is not a subscription plan... nothing for CBSubs to manage. No revenue for anyone. It should not be counted.

This is not right.
Can someone explain this to me?
Is it me? I hope so.

Sure:

As a matter of fact, CBSubs manages all users subscriptions, also those with free subscriptions. Depending on your configuration, you can use the module in multiple locations and pages to advertise for your paid subscriptions, it will show the upgrade possibilities to paid subscriptions, when you protect content, urls and so on, it will protect them and show them the upgrade form, and so on.

Maybe you didn't see yet the most important aspect of CBSubs ? :

Helping you by providing you the tools to make your free members contributing to your site revenues.

There are many tools and features inside CBSubs to help you raising your revenues.

As a side note: We have initially proposed (see our newsletter 1, and the bashing thread that resulted from this innovative proposal) a novel license scenario where the license price of CBSubs is mainly based on success (like we take a risk/reward sharing with you), but it got very badly interpreted opposite to the goal of the risk sharing part which was the most important to us, and very opposed comments, so we listened to feedbacks to our proposal, and came back to this more classical licensing scenario. Of course the license can't be ideal scenario for everyone, but at least it's clear upfront: it's users, not subscribers.

Hope that clarifies, and keep in mind that CBSubs features helping you converting free to paid and overall features compare extremely well too to commercial solutions sold for 4, 5 or 6 digits figures, so even an unlimited license is really very very affordable.

Best Regards,

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 11 months ago #98855 by jingato
Replied by jingato on topic Re:Do I have to pay CBSubs ... again?
Beat,

I do understand your position and in no way am I trying to discredit anyone.

But consider this, prior to installing CBSubs, my site could be extremely functional allowing anyone to come see my pages, register, use the forum, look through all of our business members services to make a decision on which restaurant to eat at, or which plumber to call.

The only missing element was a way for us to manage payments from our business members.

Enter CBSUbs. The solution.
Which now limites our functionality, without paying you for it.

Understand this: You wrote:

Hope that clarifies, and keep in mind that CBSubs features helping you converting free to paid

These registered visitors will never, I say, never be paid subscribers. They are just visitors, looking at our paid subscribers' deals.

Also you wrote:

overall features compare extremely well too to commercial solutions sold for 4, 5 or 6 digits figures

Yes I agree. This is why I purchased from you. But I expected to be able to manage up to 500 paying subscribers. In no time I could have 499 free visitors that sign up and never return again with only one paying member.

My only solution is to create a new app that serves the purpose of managing free registrations in its own tables, separate from Joomla or CB and work on integrating it into my site.

CBSubs was supposed to save me time, not create more work.

Listen, it is what it is. I have too much time invested in this already to switch or write something myself. I guess I will have to upgrade this time.
Unfortunately though, I will not be using CBSubs on other sites, which from a revenue stand point, doesn't help you either.

Don't get me wrong... it is a great product, it just doesn't serve my purposes.

14 years 11 months ago #98883 by jingato
Replied by jingato on topic Re:Do I have to pay CBSubs ... again?
I just looked into the pricing and saw it is only another $67 to upgrade to 5000 users. I guess I didn't realize the price was actually that cheap.

14 years 11 months ago #98968 by Rapunzl
Replied by Rapunzl on topic Re:Do I have to pay CBSubs ... again?
Glad you took a second look. Not bad, huh? ;)

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn