Tax and state

10 years 4 months ago #238427 by OldLodgeSkins
Tax and state was created by OldLodgeSkins
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a tax rule - which will be the same for all my subscriptions - where only people of a certain state have to pay the tax. My partner tells me he needs to collect tax from people who are in the same state as him (his company) only.

So here's what I have set up so far:

==> CBSubs settings, tax tab:
Default customer country: USA
Seller country: USA
Seller state: Washington
Seller zip code: 98009

==> CBSubs taxes, tax rules
I created a tax rule named "WA" which is not default. The default is still "Not subject to sales tax".

==> CBSubs taxes, tax rates
I create a rate also named "WA"
Tax rule to assign to this tax: WA
Geographic zone of buyer: USA
Geographic Zone of Seller: USA
System Seller Country: no field displayed
System Seller State / Province: no field displayed <-- is this normal?
System Seller Zip Code: 98009

Does this tax apply for sales inside of the seller Country: yes, apply this tax for all domestic sales
Does this tax apply for sales inside of the seller State / Province: yes, apply this tax for all in-state sales
Does this tax apply for sales outside of the seller State / Province: No, never charge tax for out-of-state sales

Calendar conditions: I left the dates blank.

Methods to validate that the customer is a business (B2) for this tax: No business customer discrimination by this tax rates

----
Then I set my plans to use this tax rule.

For now, no tax is charged. I'm not in WA so if the state detection is made out of the IP there'll never be any for me, but my partner in WA can sign up without any tax.

Question: how does CBSubs knows in which state the client is?
I'm still using the dummy payment method for now, does this make a difference, would PayPal for example supply the state?

Thanks.

Seb.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds