Better warning on profile edit

9 years 6 months ago #251199 by activha
Better warning on profile edit was created by activha
Hello
We have noticed that a bigger warning is needed when users edit their profile and there is a compulsory field hidden somewhere in a tab.

For now, the tag is colored in red, but it is not enough for most of people.

It would be best to have a clear warning on top with something like "you need to fill a compulsory field on tab xxx before being able to save your profile"

this is especially useful for new users willing to upload their photo without checking the compulsory fields

Thanks
Jean

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago #251200 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Better warning on profile edit

activha wrote: Hello
We have noticed that a bigger warning is needed when users edit their profile and there is a compulsory field hidden somewhere in a tab.

For now, the tag is colored in red, but it is not enough for most of people.

It would be best to have a clear warning on top with something like "you need to fill a compulsory field on tab xxx before being able to save your profile"

this is especially useful for new users willing to upload their photo without checking the compulsory fields

Thanks
Jean

Probably auto-select tab and field of first field that is missing, with its error displayed below would be ok too ?

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

9 years 6 months ago #251201 by activha
Replied by activha on topic Better warning on profile edit
Maybe even better
But a formal warning is needed somewhere for people who are not like you or me :-)

9 years 6 months ago #251202 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Better warning on profile edit

activha wrote: Maybe even better
But a formal warning is needed somewhere for people who are not like you or me :-)

From an UX perspective, such a formal warning should be either near the call to action, and thus could be just above or to the right of the save/register button, which could become inactive as long as it's not fixed, or/and as is just below the field(s) which errors. Probably both would be best... 1) auto-select tab and field and 2) add a short error warning text near the button. Thoughts ?

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

9 years 6 months ago #251204 by activha
Replied by activha on topic Better warning on profile edit
Yes I think that you get it right
CB 2.01 ? ;-)

9 years 6 months ago #251205 by beat
Replied by beat on topic [4785] Better warning on profile edit

activha wrote: Yes I think that you get it right
CB 2.01 ? ;-)

Yup, coincidently we ran a quick informal "UX test" on this issue, and based on results, it is clearly an UX issue that we will improve in the shortly upcoming CB 2.0.1. Thanks for the heads-up. B) forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/4785

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn