Moving existing CB to new site

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #283384 by 3cellhosting
Moving existing CB to new site was created by 3cellhosting
Hi all,

I feel like a bloody newbie with this question but it is the first time I have been asked.

Client has existing site. Also a new site from scratch as existing site has many old extensions and some issues. existing site has CB and CBJuice2. Exported users but cannot import on new site as headers don't exist.

What is the best way to make this work? The CB fields are numerous so I don't want to recreate them manually. Can I simply copy the tables across or will that mess up other elements when I do import of CBJuice file?

P.S. Forgot tio mention I do have CB and CBJuice on new site as well.

I have to try and get this done by tomorrow so my client can show their client that there is some progress.

Thank you.

David

David
www.3cellhosting.com - where personality, creativity and integrity come as standard.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #283385 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Moving existing CB to new site
Copying tables over is possible (just for the comprofiler table, only copy the table structure, not data, then synchronize user table with CB -> Tools). Make sure when copying tables that the collations match. Then verify all database consistencies (all database-related tools) in CB Tools. Moving users is different as it also implies joomla users table and other user-related tables. But it works quite well that way, even accross Joomla and CB versions, requiring only minor adjustments, mainly on usergroups and access levels if different.

As usual, BACKUP first :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

7 years 10 months ago #283386 by 3cellhosting
Replied by 3cellhosting on topic Moving existing CB to new site
Thanks Beat,

Just to clarify, copy all comprofiler tables (structure and data) across but in the case of comprofiler table just the structure?

Then do sync and dbase tools.

Cheers

David

David
www.3cellhosting.com - where personality, creativity and integrity come as standard.

7 years 10 months ago #283387 by beat

3cellhosting wrote: Thanks Beat,

Just to clarify, copy all comprofiler tables (structure and data) across but in the case of comprofiler table just the structure?

Then do sync and dbase tools.

Cheers

David

For settings, Yes, but see below. For users, it's another story.

But First BACKUP :)

And then review all user-groups, access-levels and permissions if different than default usergroups and access-levels and permissions.

Permissions, user-groups and access-levels are stored in Joomla tables, and:
- if last two vary between the sites, they will need to be adapted in the corresponding settings.
- and permissions for CB are stored in joomla tables, and will need to be manually copied if they are different from default.

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
The following user(s) said Thank You: 3cellhosting

7 years 10 months ago #283393 by 3cellhosting
Replied by 3cellhosting on topic Moving existing CB to new site
Hi Beat,

OK - Copying the comprofiler tables has worked well. All the profile fields are in place.

All that remains now is to import the users. Just tried with CBJuice and I forgot it doesn't like hashed passwords. Client has recently had a mail out with renewals and is reluctant to assign new passwords. Can this be resolved by importing with a dummy password and then replacing the passwords by copying the Joomla user table?

Regards

David

David

7 years 10 months ago #283394 by beat

3cellhosting wrote: Hi Beat,

OK - Copying the comprofiler tables has worked well. All the profile fields are in place.

All that remains now is to import the users. Just tried with CBJuice and I forgot it doesn't like hashed passwords. Client has recently had a mail out with renewals and is reluctant to assign new passwords. Can this be resolved by importing with a dummy password and then replacing the passwords by copying the Joomla user table?

Regards

David

Without guarantees, but it worked well on this site when migrating from Joomla 1.5 and CB 1.9.1 to Joomla 3.5 and CB 2.0.14: With 500,000 users, all migration tools we tried failed, so we developed a tables-migration method. Try at your own risk, but hope this helps:
  1. Backup
  2. Get coffee and make sure to be well awake (maybe even rehearse to check on a clone of new site first (we did that here)
  3. Add temporarily any columns missing in new users table that was there in the old table
  4. Dump DATA only of 4 tables: users, comprofiler, comprofiler_members, comprofiler_views (and if also Joomla 2.5/3.x also the user_usergroup_map table with column headers and in the appropriate collation from old site
  5. Empty the 4-5 tables on new site
  6. Restore data dump from old site into the 4-5 tables
  7. If old site not Joomla 2.5/3.5: Create the corresponding entries in the user_usergroup_map table according to group in usergroups table (in our case it was easy), 1 entry per user entry at least
  8. Remove the temporarily added user table columns

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn