Quick Questions: Customisation & Analytics

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #182194 by ala7lam
Hi,

I noticed (unless I wasn't looking right) that there isn't an a way to be able to edit the buttons on the different pages of the registration when using CBSubs. I wanted to style the different buttons a bit and I wanted to know how that could be done? Is there a way to give them additional classes?

The other thing which is also a bit related to the first issue is I wanted to add tracking clicks codes on the buttons on the registration process. Again, I didn't find an easy way to do this. I did add my Google tracking information so I was wondering if CBSubs was actually setup to take advantage of the tracking code to track clicks across the registration process so that they could show under goals or events, etc... in Google Analytics.

Google analytics is very helpful and it is crucial that I could follow my visitors/members through their registration process, etc...

Any Ideas?
Thanks!

CB 1.7.1
CBSubs

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #182250 by beat
a) styling:

To style the buttons on a given page, you need to use the "Descendant selectors" property of CSS.
Each page of CB and CBSubs has a particular id or class.

See paragraph 5.5 of www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html to see how to use that property to select only a given selector within another selected element.

b) can you please explain what you need for tracking of buttons ? isn't that a standard feature of google analytics ?

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #182267 by ala7lam
a) Great! I haven't noticed that. Thanks!

b) I meant something like events tracking, which can be used as part of Goals if I am not mistaken as welll, but most importantly it will show as an event in GA allowing the admin to track how many time a button has been clicked.

It is not a standard functionality unless links/buttons were coded like this. An the need for it is because if you want to set up a Goal funnel for example in GA, you can't use URLs when setting them because the URL of the registration process across its different steps is the same with CB. Therefore, you need to coe buttons to be able to track movement between different steps of the registration/payment process.

If this wasn't clear, you can check this topic:
code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/tracking/eventTrackerGuide.html

I really hope there was a way to do this. Perhaps by having the buttons in the registration process accessible through templates.

Thanks!

CB 1.7.1
CBSubs

12 years 5 months ago #182438 by beat
Same as you can select by CSS selectors the buttons for styling, you can use same selectors to add events to them using jQuery instead of old-style inline coding.

It's really a line of code in CB jquery javascript: You can add such jquery javascript to the header where it belongs to using the CB content module for instance.
$('.cssselector input:button.class').click(function(e) {....});

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
The following user(s) said Thank You: ala7lam

12 years 5 months ago #182524 by ala7lam
Hi Beat,

Thanks for your response :).

I am not that good with coding & JQuery. Hence, why I asked for a way to edit it directly.

Can you perhaps help me understand this further by applying it to for example the registration submitting button or any other button?

I appreciate all your time & effort.

CB 1.7.1
CBSubs

12 years 5 months ago #182530 by beat
The registration button is generated in CB's template in plugins/templates/default/default.php line 295.
(duplicate the CB template you are using and rename the files accordingly to change that, so that when you upgrade CB it doesn't overwrite your changes).

Other CBSubs buttons are generated in CBSubs templates, that can be overridden, according to the description in CBSubs settings. Finally, a few are generated programatically inside CBSubs 1.2, but will be also in CBSubs templates that can be overridden in CBSubs 1.3.

Maybe contracting a jQuery freelancer could save you lots of time here, and keep your site without any unnecessary overrides and old-style javascripts in html that prevents validation.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ala7lam

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn