Profile visibility controlled by member

12 years 11 months ago #164278 by wendyj
Hi,
I've got a site using Joomla 1.5.22, CB 1.3.1, and cbsubs 1.1.2. My client wants to be able to allow the user to choose the visibility of their profile to the community. Sounds pretty standard for a community based component, eh?

So, since it seems like a basic thing I'm feeling a bit silly asking: Where is the checkbox that allows the users/members to turn their profile visibility on or off? I've spent a bunch of time hunting around the forum and google and cbsubs documentation but I can't seem to find that simple checkbox. I know about tabs and fields visibility, but I want users to be able to determine the visibility of the entire profile.

Thanks in advance for any bump in the right direction!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 11 months ago #164295 by nant
Only thing available is the privacy plugin that can be configured so users can specify on a field by field, or tab by tab basis visibility.

This is available to Advanced members or can be purchased separately

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #164316 by wendyj
Replied by wendyj on topic Re: Profile visibility controlled by member
Thanks for your prompt reply! I did come across that plugin in my research. Can't that be done with cbsubs tabs/fields plugin too? I'm thinking that would show a profile exists but won't have anything in it. I want something that can 'turn off' a profile altogether without deleting it. Privacy is an issue in this site's community, so users want to be able to have a profile and use protected features on the site, but not show up on the 'list' of members.

LIke if a member hid all their fields and tabs, would their empty profile would still show up? An example would be like on match.com where, when someone is dating and doesn't want to have their profile online they 'hide' it to the site, but it still exists it just in case. Does CB Privacy do that without the user having to remove each field/tab including their name?

I know I could create a toggle field (checkbox) and then create a list of users based on that field value (you know, visible, yes or no. If yes, then they go on the list). But it would be nice to have the actual built-in cb profile be visible...I guess I'm just dreaming ;-)

12 years 11 months ago #164328 by nant

wendyj wrote: Thanks for your prompt reply! I did come across that plugin in my research. Can't that be done with cbsubs tabs/fields plugin too? I'm thinking that would show a profile exists but won't have anything in it. I want something that can 'turn off' a profile altogether without deleting it. Privacy is an issue in this site's community, so users want to be able to have a profile and use protected features on the site, but not show up on the 'list' of members.

The CBSubs tabs/field protect doesn't really give users a choice of privacy. It will do what its configured to do - show/hide fields/tabs based on subscription plans of owner/viewer.

LIke if a member hid all their fields and tabs, would their empty profile would still show up? An example would be like on match.com where, when someone is dating and doesn't want to have their profile online they 'hide' it to the site, but it still exists it just in case. Does CB Privacy do that without the user having to remove each field/tab including their name?

CB Privacy plugin can be configured against any CB field or Tab to allow the end user to select the privacy level (public, registered, connections, etc) for that element. I guess it can be applied against everything. But there is no single profile privacy setting (planned for CB 2.0).

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn