Adding Additional Fields to Existing Form

12 years 3 months ago #189096 by cherylru85
Adding Additional Fields to Existing Form was created by cherylru85
Hi. Just would like to ask for some assistance.

I have a form, tabbed accordingly to categories, and set in such a way that Registered users sees fewer tabs than the Super Admin.

Now, I would like to add to the existing form, an additional field with 2 radio button options - Defaulted as 'Yes'. (I am assuming that the field is to be added to the form, and not the individual's profile in "edit" mode.)

Just would like to know the following:
  1. Would all profiles of users be automatically updated with the default value?
  2. What implications would the additional field have on the existing database table containing the users details?
  3. By adding the extra field, and setting as a default value, would auto email notifications be sent out to the emails captured in the system?

Please provide an alternative if the above addition would complicate the existing system that is already put in place.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 3 months ago #189218 by cherylru85
Replied by cherylru85 on topic Re: Adding Additional Fields to Existing Form
Hi,
Any help available for this post?!

cherylru85 wrote: Hi. Just would like to ask for some assistance.

I have a form, tabbed accordingly to categories, and set in such a way that Registered users sees fewer tabs than the Super Admin.

Now, I would like to add to the existing form, an additional field with 2 radio button options - Defaulted as 'Yes'. (I am assuming that the field is to be added to the form, and not the individual's profile in "edit" mode.)

2. What implications would the additional field have on the existing database table containing the users details?
  3. By adding the extra field, and setting as a default value, would auto email notifications be sent out to the emails captured in the system?

Please provide an alternative if the above addition would complicate the existing system that is already put in place.

12 years 3 months ago #189222 by nant

Since this is your first post - welcome!

We hope you like CB - feel free to express this at any time ...

If you need better response times (indicated by the fact that you "bumped" your post less than 24 hours after you posted (this is not allowed), please consider becoming an Advanced or Professional member for better support and more privileges. Also gives you CB documentation.

When using public, free community driven forums, please allow much more time when posting and give version numbers for your environment.

All fields that are placed on a tab that is published for super admins will not show up during frontend display or edit mode (unless user viewing/editing is a superadmin).

1. The default field value will only apply to new registrations (and then only if it is shown during the registration process).

2. I do not understand what you mean by implications.

3. What auto email notifications are you talking about?

12 years 3 months ago #189237 by cherylru85
Replied by cherylru85 on topic Re: Adding Additional Fields to Existing Form
Thanks Nick. Apologies for the double post.

Here's the scenario:

I already have an online form (with different tabs) which I am currently using to capture members details.
There are some tabs which only admin is able to see on the backend.

Now, I need to add this additional field to one of the tabs of the current online form.
I just need to know if, when the new field added,
  1. How can the existing data be updated with this additional field with a default setting?
  2. Would it mess up the database table that is already in existence with data?
  3. The auto notification email triggered when the users' profile is being updated. Would it send the users or admin a notification that an update has been done?

You mentioned that "1. The default field value will only apply to new registrations (and then only if it is shown during the registration process)."
Does this mean after adding the new field, only new users who fill up the form would see the field?
What about existing users who have an account? Would they be able to see the new field when they login?

All that I would like to know is, how can the additional field be added onto the form, updating all existing users' profile, without the database table being messed up.

Hope this clarifies.

nant wrote:

Since this is your first post - welcome!

We hope you like CB - feel free to express this at any time ...

If you need better response times (indicated by the fact that you "bumped" your post less than 24 hours after you posted (this is not allowed), please consider becoming an Advanced or Professional member for better support and more privileges. Also gives you CB documentation.

When using public, free community driven forums, please allow much more time when posting and give version numbers for your environment.

All fields that are placed on a tab that is published for super admins will not show up during frontend display or edit mode (unless user viewing/editing is a superadmin).

1. The default field value will only apply to new registrations (and then only if it is shown during the registration process).

2. I do not understand what you mean by implications.

3. What auto email notifications are you talking about?

12 years 3 months ago #189243 by nant
When you create a new CB field it is initialized to null for each existing user.
So all existing users will still see the field (if they can according to tab placement, configuration, etc.) but with an empty value

A new field column is created in the comprofiler table (you can see the database schema if you download and study the CB API documentation from Free download area).

In order to initialize this new field value for existing users, you would need to use phpmyadmin and perform an update on the comprofiler table.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn