Qery re use of Tabs and Fields

10 years 8 months ago #231635 by df23
Qery re use of Tabs and Fields was created by df23
Hi

I am working on a site that will have a mixture of people, voluntary groups and businesses that are registered users. Each of these three categories of users will have different aspects to their profiles. I have different Joomla 2.5 Access Levels for the Voluntary and Business Groups and each new user is allocated to one or none of these as required.

I have created custom tabs for Voluntary Group information and for Business information and have created the required custom fields within each of these tabs.

When a user is updating their profile what i dont seem to be able to do is restrict access to these tabs depending on the Joomla Access Level that a user is allocated to i.e. I dont want the Business tab to be visible for update to users that are not members of the Business Access Level or the Voluntary Group tab to be visible for update to users that are not in the Voluntary Group Access Level.

When the profile is being viewed by other users (registered or not) i would only want the tabs relevant to the access level of the user info being requested.

Is any of this possible?

thanks
Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 8 months ago #231647 by nant

10 years 8 months ago #232268 by df23
Replied by df23 on topic Qery re use of Tabs and Fields
Hi Nick thanks for your reply. I have since purchased a subscription to CB and hopefully will now be able to sort out the configuration that is needed.

Here is some more detail on the requirements that i have for my site...

I am running the latest Joomla 2.5 and CB 1.9

The requirements for my website are

- 3 types of users (voluntary groups, businesses and everyone else)
- Menu items linking into the profiles of the voluntary groups and the businesses (i.e. creating a directory)
- Each voluntary group and each business can create and manage articles within their own category.

This is what i have done

1. Created Joomla user groups:
"Voluntary Groups" being a child of "Registered"
"Sports Clubs" being a child of "Voluntary Groups"
"The Arts" being a child of "Voluntary Groups"
... and other groups under Voluntary Groups
"Businesses" being a child of "Registered"
"Food and Drink" being a child of "Businesses"
"Home and Garden" being a child of "Businesses"
... and other groups under "Businesses"

2. Created Viewing Access Levels for each of the above user groups giving access to Registered and the corresponding access level (e.g. The Viewing Access Level "Sports Clubs Access" can be viewed by the "Sports Clubs" user group.

3. Created categories
"Voluntary Groups" at the top level
"Sports Clubs" as a child of "Voluntary Groups
"The Arts" being a child of "Voluntary Groups"
... and other groups under Voluntary Groups
"Businesses" at the top level
"Food and Drink" being a child of "Businesses"
"Home and Garden" being a child of "Businesses"
... and other groups under "Businesses"

4. Each of these categories have permissions set to default except the corresponding user group is set to Allowed for Create, Edit State and Edit Own. e.g. Any user in the "Sports Clubs" user group will be able to create articles in the Sports Clubs category and will also be able to edit their own articles within that category.

All of this appears to be working as required.

5. Within Community Builder i have created tags for Voluntary Groups and for Businesses and create the required fields within these tags.

6. Within Community Builder i have created lists each of which has the corresponding user group to be included. e.g. The Sports Clubs list will contain all users that are in the Sports Clubs user group.

7. I have created new menus for Voluntary Groups and for Businesses. Within each of these menus i have created a menu item type "user lists". However when i click on this through the front end i (not surprisingly) see all the CB lists and not just those linked to the users in the Voluntary Groups user group. Is there a way to filter the CB user lists so that only a subset of the lists is available under a menu item? If so i can then use CB Lists to show the Voluntary Groups under the VG menu and the Businesses under the Business Menu.

8. When i log in to the front end as, for example a sports club, I can create a new article in the Sports Clubs category and i can edit it. I am unable to create or edit articles in any other categories so the core joomla configuration appears to be working exactly as expected :)

9. I have also created a menu item to allow users to update their own profile.There are separate menu items for profile updates for Voluntary Groups, Businesses and other users. Each menu item is the same but under a different menu (e.g. Voluntary Groups will see the update menu item only under the Voluntary Groups menu). I have installed cbprivacy and am able to use this to configure the tabs so that only users within the required Joomla Access Level see the tab that is relevant to their type of organisation (voluntary or business). cbprivacy is good for this :)

10. When anyone views a profile (whether a guest, Voluntary Group user, business user or "standard" registered user) they can see the Voluntary Group and Business tabs under a user profile whether or not the user being viewed is a Voluntary Group, Business or "standard user". Is there a way, using cbprivacy or otherwise, to restrict viewing access to cb tabs dependent on the user group(s) that the user being viewed is a member of?

I did look at the tutorial that you provided the link to but although similar it didnt seem to be to be quite the same as what it required for my site unless i have misunderstood.

Thanks
Dave

10 years 8 months ago #232269 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Qery re use of Tabs and Fields
please post these issues on the Advanced support forums for assistance.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn