Fake Registeration

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #237020 by bruno05
Fake Registeration was created by bruno05
My site is plagued with Fake registrations. I have gone thru and done everything before posting here. I do not want to remove CB yet, and am hopig some one has a solution. Here is what I have done in trying to pinpoint where and how this is happening. I think it is CB, but I may be wrong.

Joomla 2.5 CB 1.9.1

1. Turned of Registration in Joomla and also pointed CB to be same as site as CB has no way to turn of registration.
2. I have admin tools installed and have tightened security features.
3. Re captcha is turned on everywhere.
4. K2 comments are disabled and it also has recaptcha
5. Have 2 Anti Spam plugins installed - rAntispam and Stop Registration Bot.
6. Kunena forum also has comments turned off

The frequency of fake registrations has gone down quite a bit. it should be Zero as no registration is allowed. So how did I get 2 registration on the site today? They are not activated, but they should not have been able to register in the first place.

I think, that most spammers know the URL of the CB registration link and use that to register. I also have the CB captcha in place, but that is not recaptcha and so I think that is how they are getting thru. Could be wrong.

Anyone have any ideas. My last resort is to remove CB to see if it is Joomla that is causing this? But do not want to do that yet and am hoping one of the Joomlapolis Dev guys can help.

Thanks

Bruno

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 5 months ago #237040 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Fake Registeration

bruno05 wrote: My site is plagued with Fake registrations. I have gone thru and done everything before posting here. I do not want to remove CB yet, and am hopig some one has a solution. Here is what I have done in trying to pinpoint where and how this is happening. I think it is CB, but I may be wrong.

Joomla 2.5 CB 1.9.1

1. Turned of Registration in Joomla and also pointed CB to be same as site as CB has no way to turn of registration.
2. I have admin tools installed and have tightened security features.
3. Re captcha is turned on everywhere.
4. K2 comments are disabled and it also has recaptcha
5. Have 2 Anti Spam plugins installed - rAntispam and Stop Registration Bot.
6. Kunena forum also has comments turned off

The frequency of fake registrations has gone down quite a bit. it should be Zero as no registration is allowed. So how did I get 2 registration on the site today? They are not activated, but they should not have been able to register in the first place.

I think, that most spammers know the URL of the CB registration link and use that to register. I also have the CB captcha in place, but that is not recaptcha and so I think that is how they are getting thru. Could be wrong.

Anyone have any ideas. My last resort is to remove CB to see if it is Joomla that is causing this? But do not want to do that yet and am hoping one of the Joomlapolis Dev guys can help.

Thanks

Bruno

If you really did you you claimed in step 1 above, then no registrations at all should be possible either through CB or through Joomla.

If this is true and you are still seeing registrations in backend then something else you have installed is doing this.

10 years 5 months ago #237088 by bruno05
Replied by bruno05 on topic Fake Registeration
Hi Nick,

I know in theory that is correct. However, got another one today and looks like it is from the same person. So tend to believe he is manually attempting to get into the site. So I am going to do a little more research. I will remove a few components in an attempt to pinpoint the issue. Since the registered ID had chinese in it...I will do geographic IP blocking to see if that works. However rather than blocking an entire IP I would prefer to find the issue and resolve it.

I will update here on my findings.

Thanks for the quick response.

bruno

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn