Joomla 1.5 or 1.6 for a new site?

13 years 2 months ago #153252 by mark1975
Joomla 1.5 or 1.6 for a new site? was created by mark1975
Hi,

This is my first post here, I can't believe I've never come accross Community Builder before, it seems to be exactly what I need.

I have a few newbie style questions though:

1, Being quite new to Joomla as well, should I develop my site using 1.5 or just jump straight into 1.6 even though 1.6 may well have some bugs?

2, If I start with 1.5, how easy will it be to upgrade to 1.6 in a few months time?

3, If I start with 1.5, will Community Builder 1.4 work with it when it is released?

4, If I start with 1.6 and wait for Community Builder 1.4, will all the Community Builder add-ons work straight away?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #153268 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: Joomla 1.5 or 1.6 for a new site?

mark1975 wrote: Hi,

This is my first post here, I can't believe I've never come accross Community Builder before, it seems to be exactly what I need.

I can't believe it also ... :dry: as CB is on of the most popular extensions for Joomla. See out listing and feel free to vote and review (if you have something good to say - if you have something bad we want to hear about it here!)

I have a few newbie style questions though:

1, Being quite new to Joomla as well, should I develop my site using 1.5 or just jump straight into 1.6 even though 1.6 may well have some bugs?

Ha - answer is ... it depends...
I for one will wait for at least Joomla 1.6.3 before doing anything serious or critical.

2, If I start with 1.5, how easy will it be to upgrade to 1.6 in a few months time?

Well CB will not have a problem since it currently works on both codebases. But I would tend to think that migration is not easy.

3, If I start with 1.5, will Community Builder 1.4 work with it when it is released?

Yes, CB 1.4 will work. CB 1.4 RC has already been released to Professional members and has been announced (see front page article for public release).

4, If I start with 1.6 and wait for Community Builder 1.4, will all the Community Builder add-ons work straight away?

Our will work pretty quickly - not sure about third party ones..

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark.

You are welcome

13 years 2 months ago #153273 by mark1975
Replied by mark1975 on topic Re: Joomla 1.5 or 1.6 for a new site?
Hi Nant,

Thanks for your advice.

I am keen to get started with the site so I think I'll use Joomla 1.5 until any bugs in 1.6 have been solved and all add-ons that I need are 1.6 ready.

Hopefully migration from 1.5 to 1.6 when the time is right won't cause too many problems.

Mark.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn