User registration does not work (occasionally)

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #200617 by nica521
Hi,
Our issue which occasionally happens with no rhyme or reason is that a person will complete the registration page and it seems to work as it then redirect to a page where it says "Please log in or register to view or modify your profile." When you attempt to login it then comes back with a message saying that "Incorrect username or password. Please try again."

The reason for the last message is that the registration has not entered the registration into the database, because if you go into the backend and look for that user in both Joomla user and CB user management that user does not exist.

The only way I can create the user is via the backend which is not really ideal, and often causes frustration with the customer because they are having to wait on the admins to complete this task.

This problem has been happening for nearly a year now and we have just been working around the issue however its come to a point where I'm finally becoming a little frustrated.

I have synchronised users from tools with no effect.
I have tried with FireFox and Chrome

We are using J1.5.26, CB1.7.1 (I don't believe upgrading to 1.8 will fix the issue because I have upgraded previously and it didn't make a difference), PHP5.3.6, Apache2.2 and MySQL. Also using the latest version of SH404SEF.

Registrations Setting are as follows:
Allow User Registration : Set to yes
Autogenerate random registration password: No
Require Admin Approval:No
Require Email Confirmation:No
Ajax Username checker:Yes (I don't notice this working when the problem occurs)
Ajax Email checker:No
Require Unique E-mail:Yes
Show login on registration page:No

You help and guidance with this issue would be appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #200624 by nant

nica521 wrote: Hi,
Our issue which occasionally happens with no rhyme or reason is that a person will complete the registration page and it seems to work as it then redirect to a page where it says "Please log in or register to view or modify your profile." When you attempt to login it then comes back with a message saying that "Incorrect username or password. Please try again."

The reason for the last message is that the registration has not entered the registration into the database, because if you go into the backend and look for that user in both Joomla user and CB user management that user does not exist.

The only way I can create the user is via the backend which is not really ideal, and often causes frustration with the customer because they are having to wait on the admins to complete this task.

This problem has been happening for nearly a year now and we have just been working around the issue however its come to a point where I'm finally becoming a little frustrated.

I have synchronised users from tools with no effect.
I have tried with FireFox and Chrome

We are using J1.5.26, CB1.7.1 (I don't believe upgrading to 1.8 will fix the issue because I have upgraded previously and it didn't make a difference), PHP5.3.6, Apache2.2 and MySQL. Also using the latest version of SH404SEF.

Registrations Setting are as follows:
Allow User Registration : Set to yes
Autogenerate random registration password: No
Require Admin Approval:No
Require Email Confirmation:No
Ajax Username checker:Yes (I don't notice this working when the problem occurs)
Ajax Email checker:No
Require Unique E-mail:Yes
Show login on registration page:No

You help and guidance with this issue would be appreciated.

Upgrade to CB 1.8 first.

There is no way we can go back to CB 171 and check.

Also, I cannot replicate the issue on a clean CB 1.8 install over latest Joomla.

11 years 11 months ago #200776 by nica521
Hi,
I cannot upgrade to CB1.8 because the server has PHP5.4. I don't believe upgrading will resolve the issue because previously I upgraded to the CB1.7.1 when it was released and it did not resolve the issue back then.

Thanks
Nick

11 years 11 months ago #200782 by nant

nica521 wrote: Hi,
I cannot upgrade to CB1.8 because the server has PHP5.4. I don't believe upgrading will resolve the issue because previously I upgraded to the CB1.7.1 when it was released and it did not resolve the issue back then.

Thanks
Nick

Well, we cannot really help with "occasional issues" that cannot be reproduced on a clean (latest CB) installation.

11 years 11 months ago #201288 by nica521
Hi There,
I believe I found the issue.

We have Require Admin Approval set to No and for the most part this is working however from time to time when someone registers it is sets their status to pending so user to Unapprove and Confirm user to No.

It then seems to send the pending approval email however the tab [CONFIRM] is not producing the url to confirm. Below is the email being sent.

Greetings [NAME],
Thank you for applying for registration with us. We have
received your request and we will process it as soon as you
confirm your email address by clicking on the following
hyperlink:
[CONFIRM]
Once your email address is confirmed our moderators will be
notified to continue the activation process.
You will be notified by email of the progress of your registration process.
[DETAILS]
Kind Regards,
Website Administration Team

Just recapping I think there are two things not working here.
1. Despite having the "Require Admin Approval set to No" some are getting through to the wicket keeper as we say in cricket :-)
2. The pending approval email for some reason is not adding the url to confirm despite the [CONFIRM] tab being present.

Hopefully this can help with identifying an issue.
Thanks
Nica

11 years 11 months ago #201292 by nant
Perhaps follow CB Installation guide and turn off Joomla registrations.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn