Quick register - like facebook

15 years 2 months ago #89049 by mediaguru
Quick register - like facebook was created by mediaguru
My registration page is pretty big and long. There are a lot of fields. That may turn a few potential members away.

I'd like to see a "quick register" like facebook's page. You punch in a name and an email and that's just about it.

I may see if I can make my own custom version, but I'd like to see a module which only displays on the home page if you aren't logged in with the quick register fields.

After the person registers, all the other "required" fields would have to be filled in, on their first visit...

CB/Joomla golf site: www.thegolfspace.com
Geek/joomla site: www.tkserver.com

Check out my Joomla/CB projects:

* LIKE thumbs up system for "liking" content items
* Karma - CB user rating system
* Golf Score Tracker
* Jitter - status update system. "What's on your mind?"
* CB Author Plug - Shows CB author link and avatar in content items. J1.5 compatible and very customizable!

Found on my web site or in the Joomlapolis Directory !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 2 months ago #89053 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Quick register - like facebook
Why not just make your extra CB fields not appear on registration form?

15 years 2 months ago #89055 by mediaguru
Replied by mediaguru on topic Re:Quick register - like facebook
nant wrote:

A valid question.

BUT the CB reg form is at different URL. I want the quick registration to be on my ROOT if the person isn't logged in. Just go to facebook and see their home page when not logged in. That's the concept.

* Golf Score Tracker
* CB Author Plug - Shows CB author link and avatar in content items. J1.5 compatible and very customizable!

15 years 1 month ago #90443 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Quick register - like facebook
mediaguru wrote:

nant wrote:

A valid question.

BUT the CB reg form is at different URL. I want the quick registration to be on my ROOT if the person isn't logged in. Just go to facebook and see their home page when not logged in. That's the concept.

Just make a joomla menu item for the registration page and make that homepage (joomla 1.0: first item in main menu).

Put "register or login" in CB params and you are done. :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 7 months ago #110070 by hivver
Replied by hivver on topic Re:Quick register - like facebook
Hi i dont know how long have been since you posted this.

But yeah you can do what he said, but will shou up an uggly thing saying you are already logged in.

I recommend you to instal alt_homepage plugin (google it as alternative home page plugin) and then the mod cb registration from shape5, both are free. As you can guess you can put the registration in a module.

I suggest you to add it to a hidden position and then customize it with some html in the editor. I did it before and was awesome, beautifull and really cool, but oh my god, it doesn't fits my needs... here where i live people get scared when they see some different page. (different to hotmail, fotolog, youtube or google, so yes they doesn't have facebook cause they don't understand what to do).

14 years 7 months ago #110354 by mediaguru
Replied by mediaguru on topic Re:Quick register - like facebook
I'd like to get this working someday. I think I could double or triple signups with that versus a new URL and the clunky formatting of the registration page.

I may just create my own custom module which has cb registration in a format/look I prefer.

* Golf Score Tracker

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn