Let User Creat User Groups (School-Classes)

17 years 7 months ago #21204 by dracbart
Replied by dracbart on topic Re:Let User Creat User Groups (School-Classes)
I agree with your setup, but i ran into trouble with JACL because you can only add a user to one group. That is not enough for a community site!

It is possible to make it work that way, but you end up with endless matrix posibilities

I agree with the plugin part, it's all getting to comprehensive. I would like it if groupjive was a part of the CB installation and CB have it's own forum. That would be powerfull!

romus wrote:

Instead of all those plug ins, what about making groups and access through JACL. That's what I am working ona s astrategy. The JALC groups and access alos work in Joomla Board as i understand it. In the bridge Joomla - SMF they are planning to integrate JACL so the same groups would show in SMF forum. I think in SMF you can limit viewing by group (someone here will know that)

So then it is a matter of assigning content etc to groups and controlling what people can see.

Tell me if theis is a good strategy or should i try another approach?

If it is a good strategy, i was then thinking i need two things in CB

1. When someone registers, that they can select any number of groups from a choice (radio buttons) on a CB registration form - they would be fields, as set in CB. So then, If I preset groups to match the CB field names, can there be code that acheives: "If field x selected, then join new user to group x" Maybe the way would be to have some code that I can paste into the appropriate CB registation file, or there would be another way.

2. Secondly, a registered user can choose to remove themselves from groups and join others.
"If field x selected, then remove registered user from group x" "If field x selected, then join user to group x". That can be the Personl info in the CB tab, that is acarried over from registration. Maybe the way would be to have some code that I can paste into the appropriate CB registation file, or there would be another way.

"Fresh" orginal post wants to also let users make new groups and adds the need to bridge (have plug ins) for other utilities. I think my idea would mean plug ins for the other utilities with JACL.

What do you think?

I am not into MySQL or Php, but am trying to figure out a strategy.

Post edited by: romus, at: 2006/09/20 00:59

Post edited by: romus, at: 2006/09/20 01:15

:) :)

- You need a Blade to slice the road - www.fastbike.nl -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 7 months ago #21602 by romus
Keen to hear how you are getting on. I'm having a look at JACL. According to dracbart the limitation of JACL is that it only lets you join one one group - not suitablke for a community site. Aslo with JACL it is a hack so you are totally limited to the components and modules you can use. So if i settle for JACl I'll have a lot of restrictions.

If groupJive is a CB component then that is not such an issue, is it? Maybe the idea of having a CB tab also will enable users to control which group they can join and leave. That sounds better to me even if i am about right.

If like the cbtab "contact info" and "additional info" can auto input information that is entered at registration and so users goin a group or groups by their registration selections, then that is perfect for my ideas.

Anyway, I'll look out for any progress.

Local System: JSAS 1.08, Joomla 1.0.1, CB 1.0.1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn