Cookie Issues causing login problems

17 years 3 months ago #29440 by Ayeohx
Cookie Issues causing login problems was created by Ayeohx
Issue:
Clients attempt to login. Screen refreshes but are not logged in. According to my admin console they are logged in.

From what I've been able to track down is a problem with cookies. Most of my clients are on a corporate network that has issues with cookies. On a machine independent of the network they can login fine.

I also found that if I turn off my cookie in Firefox I cannot log in www.joomlapolis.com; the exact problem my clients have.

Joomla.org's website works fine with cookies turned off. Whats the difference and is there a fix I can do for this issue?

Post edited by: Ayeohx, at: 2007/01/20 13:32

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #29458 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Cookie Issues causing login problems
Joomla 1.0 uses cookies to sychronize the logged-in state of users (to find the sessions).

www.joomla.org works fine, because you don't login there, unless you are a core team member.

Any Joomla-powered site needs cookies activated to be able to login.

Joomla 1.0.12 improved the process, and also gives a corresponding message when people login.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

17 years 3 months ago #29494 by Ayeohx
Replied by Ayeohx on topic Re:Cookie Issues causing login problems
Trust me, I am not doubting you, I know little about this web design, but what I meant was that I am able to log in to their message boards with cookies turned off. I only assume that they are using joomla for their message boards and wondered "why would their message boards work fine with cookies turned off and not my own?"

17 years 2 months ago #30468 by incir
Replied by incir on topic Re:Cookie Issues causing login problems
i had the same problem.
axctually i was converting my smf to joomlaboard on my test site. everything went smooth. all the topics,members etc. then i
published the login module on the front end and i had the same problems.i can see members are logged from the backend, but there is no change on the frontend. i tried everything, upgrade,downgrade but no solution.
after i read thios topic i realised that i had same problem. even though i couldnt login to joomlapolis. so this is not my website s problem, this is just a general issue.
i wanted to write this because it took for a while to find out what s happening

17 years 2 months ago #30652 by Ayeohx
Replied by Ayeohx on topic Re:Cookie Issues causing login problems
Good to know it wasn't just me. :)

I ended up uninstalling CB from my site and just using MyBB as my board system. It doesn't integrate into Joomla but since most of my site of public anyhow I don't really need a site login. Would have been nice though.

I wish Joomla would take cues from all of the other CMSs out there whose logins seemingly work anywhere. My friend who is a DotNetNuke user, who told me to use DNN in the first place, brags about how his login works fine. And really, my users go to other sites that require cookies all of the time; it's for the most part just Joomla.

Its a shame really.

17 years 2 months ago #30658 by Aly
Replied by Aly on topic Re:Cookie Issues causing login problems
This is all well and good, but is there a solution here?

I have several users today that are having difficulty logging in, even after I have re-set their passwords for them. They claim cookies are turned on, so on.

I usually tell people to check the Remember Me box which helps in most cases, but not all. I have paying users, so if there is a solution to this (I'm using CB 1.0.2 and Joomla 1.0.12) it would be helpful to see it in this thread please?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn