Conditional Registration - Pass Test

17 years 8 months ago #18705 by oak21
Replied by oak21 on topic Re:Conditional Registration - Pass Test
It is a real solution, but I believe it's unacceptable due to:
  1. it is unacceptable to rely a functinality on client-side script. That's not only a theory - I had to learn the hard way, that Javascript is here only to help you, not actually do important things.
  2. It wouldn't be fair to let the user fill the form and then tell him he has to pass a test

As for 2. point, we have it for years like this:
  1. Information about registration process
  2. Rules (like Terms&Conditions, must accept)
  3. Regitering form
  4. Info page (could be replace by info mail, which is better)

I'm sorry if I am confusing you with my approach, but it took years to learn the best way to handle this and there's no point to roll back.
But I believe I can manage this, only thing is I will have to alter CB files...

I will let you know about my progress and I am still appritiating any comments, as they help me to learn more [about CB, Joomla,...]

Thanks,

Oak

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 8 months ago #18775 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Conditional Registration - Pass Test
oak21 wrote:

It is a real solution, but I believe it's unacceptable due to:

1. it is unacceptable to rely a functinality on client-side script. That's not only a theory - I had to learn the hard way, that Javascript is here only to help you, not actually do important things.
  2. It wouldn't be fair to let the user fill the form and then tell him he has to pass a test

I did not mean client side validation. Just show the test, user fills in fiels, use JS to write the input to one hidden field and validate on server side.

As for 2. point, we have it for years like this:

1. Information about registration process
  2. Rules (like Terms&Conditions, must accept)
  3. Regitering form
  4. Info page (could be replace by info mail, which is better)

I'm sorry if I am confusing you with my approach, but it took years to learn the best way to handle this and there's no point to roll back.
But I believe I can manage this, only thing is I will have to alter CB files...

I will let you know about my progress and I am still appritiating any comments, as they help me to learn more [about CB, Joomla,...]

Thanks,

Oak

You can make a form for the test, then put the result in the session, hack CB to not accept registration or show the form before there is a passign result in the profile.

mikko

17 years 8 months ago #18784 by oak21
I am slowly progressing. I made a small compnent (com_reg) for Joomla, which is only a page which checks for a agreement on Code of Rules (previous page) and displays questions and answers from database. I put them into DB hoping I'll be to add Joom!Fish support and possibly a administration module as well, if smb. else would liket to reuse it and configure it.
Anyway, learning Joomla code is very difficult, as the documentation is very basic, so I'm advancing very slowly, having problems with patTemplates & stuff like this.
www.sub-club.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=67

17 years 8 months ago #19402 by oak21
I finished the component. It works with no problem. I'm using Joomla content (blog) for first two pages (Info & Code of Rules), in the last is a small form - if users agrees to Code of Rules, he's forwarded to com_reg component, which displays him a test (in the selected language, if translation available /by Joom!Fish/). Then the test is evaluated and if succesful, the user is forwarded to CB "registers" form, where he can complete registration. I changed the "Register" link in CB login module so it points to my added "Info" page (start of registration).
I'm thinking about adding a hidden value to the last test ("if succesful") page and adding "if not defined then die" stuff into CB "registers" page.

Regards,

Oak

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn