Auto assign user group during registration

17 years 7 months ago #21473 by undoIT
I'd like to see a way to customize the registration form so that a person is able to select a separate user group during registration. I'd like to have the user be able to select to be added to either registered, author, editor or publisher. It would be nice to have a drop-down menu and a way for the user to select from these account types and then after they have finished the registration, they are automatically added to the correct group.

Or, better yet, have a way to automatically assign users to a user group based on a conditional drop-down box. So if they select Personal account, they'd be added to registered users. And if they select Professional account, they'd be added to the author group. Perhaps there could be an option for whether the registering user is able to select their user group or if it would automatically assigned. That would be ideal.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 7 months ago #21483 by nant

17 years 7 months ago #21484 by undoIT
I started off looking for a way to hack this and then thought it would be better to submit as a feature request, because probably a lot of other people would like to have this feature. There is no way to delete old posts on this forum.

17 years 7 months ago #21488 by mikko
No need to hack, you can make a plugin.

mikko

17 years 7 months ago #22054 by undoIT
I have a drop down select on the registration page where users can either select a personal or a professional account. I want to set it up so that if the user selects "professional account" they are automatically added to the Author group. I have little experience coding with PHP. Could some kind of "if" statement be added to the registration code so that when the user selects professional account, the table with their user information is automatically updated with author group? I'm trying to wrap my mind around this and not sure where to begin.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn