Banning profile - what is it really doing ?

15 years 6 months ago #78266 by victune
Hi,

I really don't understand if there is a bug with CB or the Banning function just do nothing except making the user invisible for other users.

I found that as a banned user I can do many things on the site...for example, I can change my profile, upload profile image, upload photos to my gallery (Nants CB Gallery plug-in), writing in my blog (My blog), post in the forum (Fireboard) and even send private messages to other users.

For my understanding, banning user should prevent him from doing those things. Banned user should be able only to watch site content (with annoying red message which said that he is banned) but not with the ability to add content, otherwise this user became like a GOD...can see AND act but not to be seen. :P

Is that a bug or what ?

Thanks.

Post edited by: victune, at: 2008/10/26 19:26

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #78279 by nant
victune wrote:

Hi,

I really don't understand if there is a bug with CB or the Banning function just do nothing except making the user invisible for other users.

I found that as a banned user I can do many things on the site...for example, I can change my profile, upload profile image, upload photos to my gallery (Nants CB Gallery plug-in), writing in my blog (My blog), post in the forum (Fireboard) and even send private messages to other users.

For my understanding, banning user should prevent him from doing those things. Banned user should be able only to watch site content (with annoying red message which said that he is banned) but not with the ability to add content, otherwise this user became like a GOD...can see AND act but not to be seen. :P

Is that a bug or what ?

Thanks.

Post edited by: victune, at: 2008/10/26 19:26

Banning a profile hides the profile from other members.

The thought is that the actual profile contains inappropriate content and thus will not be visible to other members. Allowing the actual profile owner to make modifications is the only way to permit the profile owner to make necessary changes so the admins-moderators may unban the profile (once the needed changes are made).

Blocking a user (from CB User Management backend) will not allow user to login anymore.

15 years 6 months ago #78281 by mtk
great, let's take this to extreme.
a user rights "FxxK YOU" on his profile - so, as an admin, I ban him. then he'll go & post in the forum/blog/PMS "FxxK YOU" all over the site.

how does this comply with the "second chance" given him with the BAN option, to erase the bad words on his profile?

15 years 6 months ago #78291 by nant
mtk wrote:

great, let's take this to extreme.
a user rights "FxxK YOU" on his profile - so, as an admin, I ban him. then he'll go & post in the forum/blog/PMS "FxxK YOU" all over the site.

how does this comply with the "second chance" given him with the BAN option, to erase the bad words on his profile?

You have the option to block him directly also.
Its up to you to take things to any extreme you want.

Feel free to propose new functionality.

(And of course, you are assuming that the site in question has a forum and that the forum does not have a bad words filter)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn