CB 1.2 Status Report

15 years 7 months ago #75484 by Rapunzl
Replied by Rapunzl on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
You are NOT paying for CB. You are paying for a subscription to the documentation to make using CB easier... and to support the developers for the work they have done. If you choose to pay for it, it is your decision. No one is forcing you to pay for anything. You can use CB 1.1 for free, bugs and all, until 1.2 is released publicly. CB 1.2 will be released as soon as the bugs are sufficiently removed from it.

Unfortunately, with each change to get rid of one bug, it can trigger another bug. Also, Joomla itself causes issues discussed in their forum that have to be worked around. Other extensions also have integration issues that will be resolved before the release.

Believe it or not, the developers are probably wanting this release to go public more than most in this forum. I see them working all hours of the day, reading and answering forums, discovering issues here and there, figuring out if it is user error, template error, other extension error or a new bug.

We all have full time paying jobs in addition to this, and still, they keep this software free for all of us. Yes, they ask for support with the doc subscription, but it is not mandatory. In exchange, they offer early release to these people as their way of saying thanks. In my opinion, the hours, weeks, months and years of work put into this component demands more than just a doc subscription. That's why so many jump into these forums and try to help others with solutions... because it helps the developers spend more time developing.

Those tired of waiting have two choices: either get it early as a gift for your support or try other extensions as the previous post suggests... preferably without a defamatory post beforehand that has no basis in fact.

There never has been any promise as to when this would be released. Just keep in mind, "Good things come to those who wait."

:)

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction
The topic has been locked.
15 years 7 months ago #75538 by RupertTHEbare
Replied by RupertTHEbare on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
With all due respect Rapunzl, this kind of weasel wording does not help anyone resolve anything.

If you have to pay, it doesn't really matter what for.

And if it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, by my reckoning at least, you've got yourself a duck.

The project is late getting its 1.5 act together, damn late. Way behind almost everyone else. Some of the boys are pissed at that. Fair enough.

The fact that they don't want to run their lives according to your clock won't stop the release from being truly great, when it arrives.

And your comments won't turn back the clock either.

Lets move on.

RTB.

CB v1.2 RC3
Joomla! 1.5.7 Production/Stable [Wovusani] 9-September-2008 23:00 GMT
Apache/2.2.9 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8h PHP/5.2.6
XAMPP for Windows v1.6.7 MySQL database v5.0.51b
Windows NT 6.0 (Vista) build 6001 SP1
15 years 7 months ago #75539 by undoIT
Replied by undoIT on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
If you aren't interested in becoming a Doc Subscriber and supporting the team with a financial contribution, just pretend like there was never any announcement that CB1.2 is development. In this case, you would probably be using CB1.1.

Then, when Joomlapolis announces that CB1.2 is available you would be rejoicing for the upgrade. It is really that easy. Pretend you don't know about CB1.2 and use CB1.1 for now if you don't want to subscribe.

I had no problems running CB1.1 on Joomla 1.5 in legacy mode, and no problems upgrading to 1.2RC. And, I can see that there are still bugs in the RC release.
15 years 7 months ago #75570 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
RupertTHEbare wrote:

With all due respect Rapunzl, this kind of weasel wording does not help anyone resolve anything.

If you have to pay, it doesn't really matter what for.

And if it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, by my reckoning at least, you've got yourself a duck.

You (and others) may view this a "weasel wording" (which as a phrase is not very nice and could be viewed as a personal attack), but the fact is that this has always been the case with CB. The CB Team has always "rewarded" its supporters (supporters are not only documentation subscribers, but also forum helpers, graphics contributors, testers, etc) in a similar manner. Now if this act has attracted additional documentation supporters in the process then this is something positive for the future of the project. Unfortunately, there are others who have just seen the "duck walking" for the first time, so they are unfortunately not aware of the history and consistency.

No need to further discuss this please. This is the policy the CB Team has chosen.

The project is late getting its 1.5 act together, damn late. Way behind almost everyone else. Some of the boys are pissed at that. Fair enough.

Late compared to which projects? Here are a few of the more complex projects (which BTW are IMHO still an order of mangitute less complex than CB):

I see docman is not Joomla 1.5.X native yet.
I see fireboard not Joomla 1.5.X native yet.
There are also others, but no need to really compare.

The fact that they don't want to run their lives according to your clock won't stop the release from being truly great, when it arrives.

And your comments won't turn back the clock either.

Lets move on.

RTB.

Yup, once CB 1.2 is stable and released to everyone, most people will just disappear. No more complaints - or most likely a different set of complaints will appear - mostly dealing with new features desired.

The CB Team is working very very hard and very carefully to get everything fixed in CB 1.2 RC2 and reach CB 1.2 stable as soon as possible.

Thank you for your support and understanding.
15 years 7 months ago #75786 by bmacwire
Replied by bmacwire on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
A lot of developers think that 1.5 was released early, and that better explains the lack of timely support for the release than lack of effort or resolve. I'm a Joomla newb and started out on 1.5 and ditched it after a month and have run 1.0.13 almost without incident for over 6 months now. Lesson is that some people just shouldn't be early adopters.

And I have received great courtesy from CB in spite of my not buying the doc (which I intend to do).

Duder's got a lot of strands
15 years 6 months ago #76084 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:CB 1.2 Status Report
We have been carefully listening to the demands for improvements in the forum. Unfortunately time didn't permit to discuss them all, but:

CB 1.2 RC 3 is now latest version, with ALL known issues fixed, and addressing lots of the demands made during CB 1.2 RC and RC 2 tests in terms of features too. This has been a huge work over the last very active months.

It's there for a quick last round of tests, before CB 1.2 Stable gets released free to all joomlapolitans. :)

Thanks to all encouraging posts in here, and also to all constructive feedbacks.

This news concludes happily the discussion about this old status report. :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds