Skip to Content Skip to Menu

In over my head.

• Edxactly
  • Edxactly
11 years 8 months ago #210266 by Edxactly
In over my head. was created by Edxactly
Well after playing around for a while, and reading the 181 page manual, I've come to the conclusion I am in over my head.
I get the general concepts on some joomla things but over all I simply don't understand how this all work together.
I know what I am trying to accomplish, but as I go through the configuration doing what I would think would give me results - I end up with nothing.
As an example. I installed group jive.
So I look the CB configuration figuring you would possibly set up some group structure there. Nope.
I see I can create a group on the front end. I try to create it and I see that there are no categories available.
So I look in CB configuration for categories. Nothing there.
So then I create a joonla category. Nope - doesn't show up.
This is just an example of how I don't seem to get how this all works.
What I would like to find is someone who is willing to work with me and do some tutoring. Of course I'll compensate them for their time.
I don't consider myself a total idiot as I am a non-web developer and get paid pretty well.
But this is just not intuitive to me at all. I thought it would be much more straight forward like using/configuring a forum or something.

So - if anyone is willing to help me with some tutoring and getting the basics set up I'd appreciate it. Like I said - I'm willing to pay for the tutoring.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
11 years 8 months ago #210273 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: In over my head.

Edxactly wrote: Well after playing around for a while, and reading the 181 page manual, I've come to the conclusion I am in over my head.

Nah, just a learning curve we will help you get over. Then everything will click in :P

I get the general concepts on some joomla things but over all I simply don't understand how this all work together.
I know what I am trying to accomplish, but as I go through the configuration doing what I would think would give me results - I end up with nothing.

ok

As an example. I installed group jive.
So I look the CB configuration figuring you would possibly set up some group structure there. Nope.

GroupJive is primarily meant to allow frontend users to create and organize themselves in special interest groups. Each such group has members (that join the group) and have a common wall to post messages, share photos, videos, files, events and even have a private discussion forum (using Kunena - must be downloaded and installed separately).

I see I can create a group on the front end. I try to create it and I see that there are no categories available.

You need to first create a GroupJive category and then create a group under this category.

You need to first access the GroupJive plugin from backend (CB Plugin Manager - find GroupJive row and click on it). You will see configuration options and administration options for everything related with GroupJive.

You can also create categories and groups from backend if you want.

Here are some relevant tutorials you can go through (hopefully they will push you over the learning curve):

www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/111-picture-books/18268-community-builder-groupjive-quick-start

www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/111-picture-books

Oh, I would also install and configure the CB Admin Navigation module described here:

www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/111-picture-books/18270-community-builder-admin-navigation-module-quick-start

It will help you get to GroupJive areas faster (instead of having to navigate through CB Plugin Manager).

So I look in CB configuration for categories. Nothing there.

Nope, you need to create GroupJive categories either from frontend or from GroupJive backend panel.

So then I create a joonla category. Nope - doesn't show up.

Nope again - but I see the frustration and the learning curve climb.

This is just an example of how I don't seem to get how this all works.
What I would like to find is someone who is willing to work with me and do some tutoring. Of course I'll compensate them for their time.
I don't consider myself a total idiot as I am a non-web developer and get paid pretty well.
But this is just not intuitive to me at all. I thought it would be much more straight forward like using/configuring a forum or something.

So - if anyone is willing to help me with some tutoring and getting the basics set up I'd appreciate it. Like I said - I'm willing to pay for the tutoring.

Thanks

Hope the responses above help you.
If you have further questions just post them on this forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon