Error

Please login first

[SOLVED] How to assign different user types in reg

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #211368 by yusukenishihara
Dear support,

My site currently has one user group where all of users are belonging to joomla "Registered" user type, let's call them "Professional members". Their profile page are in public, and are seen & CB searched by anyone.

My plan;
Now I want to create new user group where users' profile page are not in public, and not seen & CB searched by anyone but themselves, let's call them "Normal members". Also this user group has different tabs and fields from "Professional members". "Normal members" can see some restricted articles or make some comments on them by being "Normal member"

My question;
I want to let users can choose one of these 2 type, "Professional" or "Normal" in front-end registration process.
I thought CBsubs might allow this to be possible, but I am not planning to provide an subscription plan for any of my users. I just want to let them choose "Professional" or"Normal member".

In joomla global configuration I can setup only one of user type like attachment.

Do you have any advise for me to make this possible? This question might sound awkward for you so please tell me if I need to explain my problem in detail.

My situation;
Joomla: latest ver. of 1.5
CB: latest ver.
PHP: 5.3

Regards
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #211399 by nant
CBSubs has such functionality that allows you to specify which subscribers get which field/tabs on their profiles and also which subscribers can view/search for those fields.

Alternatively in Joomla, you would need to do some fancy configurations creating Access Viewing levels for your new ACL groups and assign use these on CB Tabs that contain your fields that need to be protected.

Regarding your placing users in additional groups question, you can use CBSubs to do this or CB Auto Actions.

Hope the above helps you ...

[EDIT}: just noticed you are on Joomla 1.5 - so strike the ACL part, you would need Joomla 2.5 to do this with Joomla groups. So I guess CBSubs is the only solution while you are on 1.5.

11 years 7 months ago #211405 by yusukenishihara
Replied by yusukenishihara on topic Re: How to assign different user types in registration
Hello Nant, Thank you for your quick reply.

It makes my problem a lot more clear than before.

Given that I cannot upgrade my joomla ver. to 2.5 due to some reason, only solution available to me is using CBSubs isn't it? I think I CB Auto action also works only on Joomla 2.5 regarding user group assignment.

Given I am happy to use CBSubs to solve my problem, I have 3 simple question before go for it;

nant wrote: CBSubs has such functionality that allows you to specify which subscribers get which field/tabs on their profiles and also which subscribers can view/search for those fields.

1. Do I allow users to choose their user group and ACL in Front-end registration process? Also Do I apply different fields on registration form for each user group.

2. Do I apply different registration process on each usergroup?;

- I want to allow "Normal Member" to be registered without admin's approve.
- I want to let "Professional Member" to be registered with admin's approve.

2. Do I apply this functionality without using payment process? I am not planning to charge my users for selecting their user group.

11 years 7 months ago #211452 by nant

yusukenishihara wrote: Hello Nant, Thank you for your quick reply.

It makes my problem a lot more clear than before.

Great

Given that I cannot upgrade my joomla ver. to 2.5 due to some reason, only solution available to me is using CBSubs isn't it? I think I CB Auto action also works only on Joomla 2.5 regarding user group assignment.

Auto action works on J15 also I believe, but on J15 you are limited to the default Joomla groups (registered, author, etc).

Given I am happy to use CBSubs to solve my problem, I have 3 simple question before go for it;

Will try and address ...

nant wrote: CBSubs has such functionality that allows you to specify which subscribers get which field/tabs on their profiles and also which subscribers can view/search for those fields.

1. Do I allow users to choose their user group and ACL in Front-end registration process? Also Do I apply different fields on registration form for each user group.

As mentioned - Joomla 1.5 is limited to default groups - registered, author, etc.

Instead of thinking based on Joomla groups, start thinking in terms of CBSubs subscriptions.

You can have for example 2 CBSubs plans proposed during registration (they can be free or paid - up to you). Plan A can be selected for Normal members and plan B for Professional members.

The registration form can also automatically hide/show specific fields based on selected plan. So if someone selects Normal plan they only see specific normal plan fields. If they select Professional plan then some normal plan fields are hidden and other professional field appear.

You can of course if you want tell CBSUbs to automatically place normal plan subscriber in the Registration group and Professional plan subscriber in the Author group. It's up to you and your use case.

2. Do I apply different registration process on each usergroup?;

- I want to allow "Normal Member" to be registered without admin's approve.
- I want to let "Professional Member" to be registered with admin's approve.

You can configure your plans to override the default CB workflow - so yes you can do this.

2. Do I apply this functionality without using payment process? I am not planning to charge my users for selecting their user group.

If you make plans zero cost - no payment gateway is needed.

11 years 7 months ago #211510 by yusukenishihara
Replied by yusukenishihara on topic Re: How to assign different user types in registration
Hello Nant

Thank you for your detail answer for my question. That made me really clear!
I think CBSubs seems to be best solution for what I want to achieve on my site.

Just one more on Auto Action plug-in.

nant wrote: Auto action works on J15 also I believe, but on J15 you are limited to the default Joomla groups (registered, author, etc).

I tried to set auto action that assign new user to different user group, "Author" or "Registered" based on which they select in the field of user type, "Professional" or "Normal" In front-end registration process,

but as you can see in the screenshot, it says "Joomla! 1.5 not supported" in "Usergroup Action". That's why I thought auto action doesn't assign user group for J 1.5.

Do I understand correct? or miss something?
Attachments:

11 years 7 months ago #211523 by nant

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn