New Passwords being sent to moderators as well

12 years 6 months ago #178171 by sdf
As far as I can remember, no. No changes to core Joomla Code. We use Jfusion and some CB Plugins.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #178376 by viewofheaven
Replied by viewofheaven on topic Re: New Passwords being sent to moderators as well
I'm not getting this bug on a plain vanilla CB. Did you have some other plugin that assigns multiple roles to users?

I tried this on Joomla 1.7, and it works.

I'm suspecting it is a problem with some CB Plugins. I encounter a new bug every day in CB alone! I won't be surprised if bugs abound in CB Plugins. Uninstall the CB Plugins first, one by one, until this "Forgot Password" function works. If all CB Plugins are confirmed blame-free for this bug, then start uninstalling other plugins one by one.

12 years 6 months ago #178387 by sdf
We have no other plugins that assign multiple roles to users, I think. Or does Jfusion interact with CB in such a way?

We didn't change CB plugins in the last time. So it seems unlikely to me that they are to be blamed. But we use CB Profile Notifier for a long time. Perhaps new CB version and this older plugin interact in a new way?

There are several external plugins, which I wil have to test. But this will take some time.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #178423 by viewofheaven
Replied by viewofheaven on topic Re: New Passwords being sent to moderators as well
1. I could not replicate your problem.

2. I recognize the multitude of possible permutations and scenarios, and realize that I cannot possibly guess at your precise scenario.

3. Hence, I cannot simply brush off your bug report just because I can't replicate it.

(I'm not CB Team. But I hope CB Team is reading the above, and understands my hopes for more CB users/employment, and for faster CB support and development.)

Here's what you can do, a once-and-for-all process.

a. Install your required components (Joomla, Jfusion, CB, plugins) from scratch.

(It'll mean that you have a documented "fresh install" procedure, which also acts as a "Bill of Materials" of sorts for building your precise website.)

b. Insert some quick test data, and try to replicate the problem.

c. If the problem can be replicated, send me your web files (probably 30MB) and database dump.

Given your web files (website codes) and database dump (test data), I can pinpoint the bug within 5-10 minutes.

Does it cost me anything? Yeah, 5-10 minutes. Does it give you anything? Yes! A well-documented install of your website codes, so that you know exactly what are installed. Knowing this will let you be quickly alerted to any security bugs in any of the tech stack you have installed.

Don't ask how I can do all that within 5-10 minutes while CB Team can't or refuse to. You'll have to ask CB Team that yourself.

sdf wrote: But we use CB Profile Notifier for a long time. Perhaps new CB version and this older plugin interact in a new way?

Joomla 1.7 plus CB 1.7 didn't replicate the problem you saw. The bug should be in the CB plugins or Jfusion.

Also, Jfusion only supports Joomla 1.5.8+. How are you using it with Joomla 1.7?

Lastly, it takes me the same amount of time to pinpoint your bug as it does to type this message out to you. Let me at this bug already! :)

Hope CB Team puts this message up as standard fare for tech support replies, especially for paying customers. I've seen CB Team turn away paying customers by infuriating them with a constant "but we can't reproduce your bug" stand. Very sad.

To be fair, customers also have to document their installations properly so CB Team can help quickly.

12 years 6 months ago #178427 by sdf
Thanks a lot for your reasonable advise. Unfortunately, we have little personal resources. It will take some time to find the time for a test installation. Furthermore, in some months we will have to upgrade to Joomla 1.8. So, probably it will be the best to hope for a dissolution of the problem in course of this upgrade. Meanwhile, we can live with an interim solution, I think.

12 years 6 months ago #178432 by nant
@webhaven: Thanks for chipping in.

The CB Team would look into this any any other issue if replication instructions are given. I could not replicate on a clean installation (which I did before I responded to this ticket).

Agree that we should create a more formal process for people that think they have a bug (take a look at other potential bug submissions on this forum and you will see many user related issues).

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.442 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn