Private administrator-created pages for each user

12 years 8 months ago #172375 by nant

viewofheaven wrote: Yeah, I had the same experience. I'm scared of purchasing CBSub now. Think I'll just hack it myself. I just need a static page layout that has (registered) user-specific data.

Confused as to what this has to do with topic.

Along the same lines, I had to clean up CB_Login. The code was a complete mess, jumbling logic and presentation into textbook spaghetti disaster. I cleaned it up, and created various types of layouts (besides vertical and horizontal).

Yup, this is one of the nice things about open-source. You can edit things to your liking.

After all that effort, I'm not sure I wanna contribute that to CB, given that I actually have to pay to use CB plugins. Quid pro quo feeling, I guess. Maybe that's what CB team is doing too, and rightfully so. Give a basic toothbrush free, and charge for advanced ones that don't wear out our gums on use.

Well, if people do not contribute their work back to CB, then I guess everybody has to rely on CB Team efforts.

A thank you for the free CB would be great.
Also, you can help out others on the forums if you want and feel like giving back.

Oh, and I also had to hack my own language file. I get a (scary) funny feeling, knowing that I would have paid a year's subscription just to get a language file. I did it in 5 minutes myself.

This is a false statement. Please retract or provide data that shows language plugins restricted to paid members.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 7 months ago #174934 by viewofheaven

Yeah, I had the same experience. I'm scared of purchasing CBSub now. Think I'll just hack it myself. I just need a static page layout that has (registered) user-specific data.

Confused as to what this has to do with topic.

Everything. When we assess an IT team's quality, we can easily do a batch test of codes. If errors were made (eg in aspects like best practices, change management), we ALWAYS do find the entire project riddled with similar errors.

Yup, this is one of the nice things about open-source. You can edit things to your liking.

That's true. But we can't edit "wrong advertising" still. Often, we (users) end up correcting a product up till what it's supposed to do, only to have the original product founders start selling our contributions! But as mentioned in previous post, that is the right thing to do. Sometimes, I just have nothing better to do than to help such people make money (from my free code fixes).

Well, if people do not contribute their work back to CB, then I guess everybody has to rely on CB Team efforts.

Quid pro quo feeling. Most times, users will return the favor. If you help me, I won't be able to resist my conscience telling me to return the favor. Even if I can't submit code fixes, I'll donate money.

So maybe you'll say I got CB all free. NOT! I only use the CB_Login module, and even that, I had to fix to get it working right. Try not to assume that your users/fans are dishonest/selfish right off the bat. For all you know, you could be turning away a legit conscience-driven user.

This is a false statement. Please retract or provide data that shows language plugins restricted to paid members.

Sorry, I take that back. But only because I don't know the truth either way! You blame your bad advertising organization on me! I navigate your pages, and found some statements about "having to register before downloading". And when I tried registering, I'm told to pay. I don't have the actual links by now, but I sure was brought around in misleading circles.

I do hope you appreciate my taking the time to give honest feedback. I'm not so unique. Just average everything, average skill, average needs. And the way some threads were locked without resolution does give an average user the creeps! (See my other posts)

12 years 5 months ago #183112 by richiebee
setting field as read only means the admin can't edit front end either?

before the thread got disrupted :unsure:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn