blank CB profile after installing phpBB connector

17 years 5 months ago #24033 by geeffland
Here are a few questions...

1) Are Joomla and phpBB in the same database?
2) What is your server OS, php Version, and MySql Version
3) Does the table "phpbb_users" exist in the Joomla database?

Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #24046 by Canuck
geeffland wrote:

Here are a few questions...

1) Are Joomla and phpBB in the same database?
2) What is your server OS, php Version, and MySql Version
3) Does the table "phpbb_users" exist in the Joomla database?

Greg

I will try and answer those, since I'm still pretty new at this.

1) If you mean on the ftp, yes there are both under the same domain name /www/sitename.com/ Is that what you mean by same database?

2)I have no clue what the server OS is.
PHP version is phpbb 2.0.6 .
MySql version, again no clue. All I know is I got all the most recent and update stuff.I am able to access it, but have no idea where to find the version info. I have never touched MySql, because I'm paranoid I'll mess something up. (I have no idea what it is, or what it's used for??)
My site is hosted through www.netfirms.com

3)"phpbb_users" , how do I find that? I found the sessions.php file on the ftp but I can't find the "phpbb_users". Not sure where to look for that.

I did not mean to answer your questions with questions, but my knowledge so far is pretty limited.

I think I answered two of your questions correctly, maybe.

Post edited by: Canuck, at: 2006/11/06 19:57

17 years 5 months ago #24050 by geeffland
We will start with a few database basics...

1) MySQL is a relational database program (i.e. a program which stores and controls your DATA)

2) Inside MySQL you may have (depending on your website provider) the ability to keep multiple "databases" (group of tables)

3) Each "database" has 1 or more tables within it (i.e. group of tables) (also a "database" is not equal to a "website")

4) each "table" is a group of fields (i.e. questions and answers)... For instance you will have a field "username" in the table there will be 1 or more records (instances of data)... each record will have 1 answer to each field (i.e. each record will have a seperate username)

========

Server OS... typically either LINUX or Windows... could also be IIS (typ. windows) or Apache (typ. Linux)... but Apache can also run on Windows...

PHP... this is the language that Joomla, CB, and phpBB (along with many other website softwares) is written in... Looks like your webhost allows php 4 and php 5... do you know which of these you are using?

MySQL looks like your webhost is saying 4.1.x

"phpbb_users" table... you can use phpMyAdmin to view your database and see if the table is there... I am guessing that with the questions that phpBB is not installed into Joomla's database.

The error message is saying that it can not find the table "phpbb_users"... note that it does say "phpbb_" the plugin reads that prefix out of the config.php file of phpBB... so it looks like your forum directory is set correctly in the plugin... but since it can't find the table I suspec that the 2 programs are in different databases...

Did you install these using 'fantastico' or some other "1 click" install process? or did you FTP the files and go thru their installers?

Greg

17 years 5 months ago #24076 by Canuck
Thanks for the explanation.

It does look like I have two separate data bases. I installed Joomla and phpbb in the Netfirms control panel (yup it was one click each).

I checked the database for Joomla and "phpbb_users" is not there, but it is in the phpbb database.

Is there a way to move everything over? Perhaps install it in the same database the way you said (not sure how to do that, but I'm sure I can figure it out) and just upload my backup database to the new site?

Again thanks for explaining that, really helps to better understand how things work.

17 years 5 months ago #24133 by geeffland
If it is a brand new forum then I suggest:
1) removing the old forum...
2) then download a copy of the current phpbb from their site (phpbb.com)
3) then unzip it on your local machine..
4) Then FTP those files up (keeping their subdirectories) into a "forum" subdirectory of the website root
5) Then go to "www.yoursite.com/forum" and follow the step by step installation instructions... when prompted for database information enter the same database, user, and password as the Joomla database.
6) Then install the phpbb Connector.

Greg

17 years 5 months ago #24145 by Canuck
70 members 1800 posts :dry:

On my ftp, the forum is located here "www.gamerztheatre.com/forum" just like your example. When I install it manually, I assume it will overwrite my current forum, or I can delete or rename it. Maybe I should rename it in case things go bad with the new install?

Almost forgot, I have Joomla board installed as well. I guess I should uninstall that as well, or can I leave it up until I know the phpconnector is working?

Another edit :unsure: Since I have to start from the beginning with the phpbb forums I may as well go with the JoomlaBoard.

Thanks for all the help and explanations. At least now I have a much better understanding of how things work.
Thanks

Post edited by: Canuck, at: 2006/11/07 21:43

Post edited by: Canuck, at: 2006/11/07 22:01

Post edited by: Canuck, at: 2006/11/07 22:48

Moderators: beatnantgeefflandmartijn189krileon
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn