Joomla, Php, CB Connector - with no wrapper?

17 years 3 months ago #30476 by gump
First of all, thanks for making such an awesome bit of kit!

I have a forum, phpBB 2.0.22 and Joomla 1.0.12. I used phpbb Connector v1.0.3 - works like a dream! Really easy to use and does everything I want.

Except one thing! If I want it integrated into my Joomla theme, I need to use a wrapper. The problem I have with this is users can't link to a post from the browser's address bar. When they do link to a post or forum etc it'll not include the joomla theme.

I've looked into two other bridges.

Mehdi's Phpbb bridge
extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,744/Itemid,35/

I had a few issues with this bridge. Although seemed to work relativly OK I had the following problems:

1) User syncing didn't work too well. With phpbb Connector v1.0.3, I didn't have a single problem syncing the users. With Mhedi's bridge, 24 users didn't sync for various reasons.
2) Although it allowed me to view the forums with the joomla theme, and without the use of a wrapper, a lot of the images in the joomla theme suddenly dissapeared! Strange, but I recon it was something to do with CSS conflict. I didn't really take the time to look into it.

Advanced JoomphpBB forum bridge component
extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,1346/Itemid,35/

I'm thinking phpbb Connector v1.0.3 is better for my site as its more of a bridge between CB and phpBB than Joomla and phpBB, amd I correct?

Here's me thinking this would be the solution to all my problems. Unfortunatly not. This simply uses an iframe / wrapper which is no use to me - I don't want that. £42 out the window - tough lesson for this noobie :)

Anyway to get to the point. I'd like my forums to integrate into Joomla's theme without the use of a wrapper.

Does anyone know how I can do this? Maybe I can use elements from Mehdi's package? I suspect it would work if I just ripped out all the bridge type stuff and found the integration stuff? My friend (who's far more fluent in the art of coding than I) is working on modifying the joomphpbb_engine.php file as I type. Can anyone offer any advice?

I have read that the Alpha version of Connector 2 will have better visual integration. Unfortunatly I pretty much have to get this working int he enxt couple of days and I can't afford to wait :( If I get I get it working, I'll post up how to do it here - I think other people could benefit from this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I apologise if the post is a bit crazy - not had much sleep!

Cheers
Gump

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #30569 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:Joomla, Php, CB Connector - with no wrapper?
I am getting pretty close on releasing the next Alpha of the CB connector. It will include a specialized wrapper (modified from Joomla's Wrapper)... it also includes a "CBC Query" Module which will allow you to show last posts, active users, last topics, etc. in a module that hooks into CB Connector... so no DB settings, and it can link thru the CBC Wrapper.

I usually don't get into web stuff at work but I am working on a project now where I have been using some Ajax code to load web files into a DIV instead of a IFrame... After 2.0.0 goes final I may tweak around and see if I can come up with a modified wrapper that uses a DIV... Probably would have to change the phpbb links in the templates after I switch to that though... Will keep you posted once I get to that point... Probably 1 last Alpha then will either release beta or final... not sure yet...

Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

17 years 2 months ago #30676 by gump
We've actually got it working pretty well just now...

www.gumpcom.com/forums

It's using a chopped up version of Mhedi's joomphpbb_engine.php. Chris is still workingo n removing all the code from joomphpbb_engine.php that we don't need - all the bridge stuff. Once it's finished, I'll post it up.

Rewrite doesn;t work just now witht he forums, but we'll have that done soon :)

G

17 years 2 months ago #31792 by EeasyPeezy
Replied by EeasyPeezy on topic Re:Joomla, Php, CB Connector - with no wrapper?
Brilliant job Gump.... I eagerly await the codes... B)

17 years 2 months ago #31860 by egenes
Great to see folks addressing this... have tried also to chop up my phpBB templates to work in the joomla wrapper and it works great in firefox, ie7... but surprise surprise it's a little unreliable in ie6.

So am also almost done chopping up mehdi's bridge php's for the same job - previously used his bridge and had no probs, but on sites with CB... rather use the nice CB phpBB plugin - nice work on this BTW. :)

Will post my efforts aswell once done.

Cheers

17 years 2 months ago #31879 by bddl888
Gump,
how did u get the phpBBconnector to work with the mehdi bridge? I've installed the connector but the posts are not showing on the CB user profile...

Thanks.

Moderators: beatnantgeefflandmartijn189krileon
Time to create page: 1.050 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn