Security Release - CB 1.0.1 - RELEASED!

17 years 9 months ago #18681 by dpk
Having register_globals on with a bunch of 3pd add-ons is a big security risk from what I've read. Having it on period seems to have been frowned on for years. Is there any good reason to have it on?

Post edited by: dpk, at: 2006/08/12 05:45

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 9 months ago #18685 by danserea
Replied by danserea on topic Re:Security Release - CB 1.0.1 - RELEASED!
Just wanted to drop a note that I used the expert method of updating and it worked perfectly. thanks very much for your quick hard work! Much appreciated.

17 years 9 months ago #18686 by dpk
same here--just dropped in the new files, and it appears to work OK at first blush.

What are the included bug fixes?

17 years 9 months ago #18709 by beat
dpk wrote:

Having register_globals on with a bunch of 3pd add-ons is a big security risk from what I've read. Having it on period seems to have been frowned on for years. Is there any good reason to have it on?

Post edited by: dpk, at: 2006/08/12 05:45

There is no good reason or excuse to have it on.

It is a compatibility setting for very old PHP code.

Having it ON is just a very large security risk, proven those last weeks with the flow of Internet attacks on Joomla and its 3PD extensions (most succeeded only on sites with that setting to ON. 3PD components started getting attacked probably due to Joomla's raising popularity I guess...and also that Joomla itself got pretty secure by now).

Just switch php register_globals setting to OFF.

or ask your hoster to do it...like *now*.

If you then have very old code not working, just fix it, or update it (it might be worthwile anyway securitywise).

In the future, we will NOT treat vulnerabilities with php register_globals ON as critical ones, like we did it this time.

Even Joomla 1.5 will not allow to run it on such insecure systems.

I hope I made myself understood. :)

Post edited by: beat, at: 2006/08/12 17:49

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

17 years 9 months ago #18715 by crash777
Replied by crash777 on topic Re:Security Release - CB 1.0.1 - RELEASED!
Question.. somewhat related.. maybe...

I am getting a message in my community builder:
"Your version is : 1.0
Latest version :
1.0.1 WARNING: high-risk security vulnerability has been discovered: Please Update ASAP ! More info and security release 1.0.1 available on Joomlapolis and on forge !!!"

I started fresh.. uninstalled all components, modules, etc and removed mysql tables. Then reinstalled.. Should I worry I don't have the newest version? Did I miss something? What is a foolproof way to tell? What checks is CB doing to give me this message?

17 years 9 months ago #18717 by dpk
Crash--read the rest of this thread. Read the front page of this site. Note the article on the security upgrade.

CB has a config setting that automatically checks for available updates unless you change it to check only when you ask it to.

You probably want to upgrade and review your possible security vulnerabilities.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn