uddeIM 0.7b released

16 years 6 months ago #47395 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Re:uddeIM 0.7b released
Mukle wrote:

Well I hope that in next version it will be possible by backend to see what users are writing. My reason is for the security. To be able as admin to take care of a not-wanted case on the site.

Sorry, but that has nothing to do with security. In my opinion the users' privacy should be protected. Thats why I have implemented obfuscating of messages in a first step. The next step will be real encryption, so admins who are too curious will not be able to read messages.

So I will _never_ implement a facility that allows to read messages in the backend.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #47401 by Mukle
Replied by Mukle on topic Re:uddeIM 0.7b released
Hi Slabbi :)

Fair enough you see it that way ;) No doubt that some admins would abuse that oppotunety.

When I choose the word security I mean that it is the safety of the members and the future of the site. People are different and have different reasons to be on a site. Some sites are sober and stay that way and some aren't and will never be..

Unfortunately there are some members/users who just cant be nice and do what they can to irritate other members. Ok we have the "ignore" function(that didnt work on my site) but some even spam the site with lies and kaos and make members leave...
Unfortunately I have experinced that and I was totaly powerless as superadmin. I could just watch members leave without knowing why. That is hard when working hard to keep up a community. Some days later a friend called me and told me why...

Many of my members are lonely weak souls and need network. Kaos that makes them leave and do no good to them.
So when talking about security I talk about keeping them in a neetwork.

You might not agree with me, but do you see my point?

If you have a solution for the problem? I would really like to hear it then :)

Mukle :)

16 years 6 months ago #47403 by slabbi
Mukle wrote:

Unfortunately there are some members/users who just cant be nice and do what they can to irritate other members. Ok we have the "ignore" function(that didnt work on my site) but some even spam the site with lies and kaos and make members leave...
Unfortunately I have experinced that and I was totaly powerless as superadmin. I could just watch members leave without knowing why. That is hard when working hard to keep up a community. Some days later a friend called me and told me why...

Well, I see your point but its not the job of an admin to read private and confidential messages without the users' knowledge even when he tries to help them.

E.g. in Germany privacy is a very big issue (and also in lots of other countries). It is here in Germany against the law to read third party messages without the explicit agreement of the writer.

I do only see two possibilities how to add such a feature:

1.) It would do the job when I add an option in the users email prferences like "[ ] Allow admins to read my messages". But I doubt that this option will be used a lot.

2.) The admin has to enable a function like "[ ] allow admins to observe messages" in the backend. When this function is enabled uddeIM shows following text when the user writes a new message "Please note that admins can observe your message. You will be notified when an admin reads your message. When you send a message you agree to this condition.". When an admin opens a user message in the backend, an automatically generated message is send to the user to inform him who has read a message and what he has read.

CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

16 years 6 months ago #47441 by nzimas
Replied by nzimas on topic Re:uddeIM 0.7b released
Thanks for reviving uddeIM :)

So far, the only feature that does not seem to work is email notification, though i have all related options properly set in the backend.

JIM, for instance, is sending out the message

Professional Website: www.bittingbits.com

16 years 6 months ago #47446 by slabbi
nzimas wrote:

So far, the only feature that does not seem to work is email notification, though i have all related options properly set in the backend.

JIM, for instance, is sending out the message

Each user has to enable email notification also in the frontend. Default is "No email notification".

When you set the default for email notification in the backend to "yes" it is not automatically enabled for all users. It will not be used for users who have already set their preferences to.

CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

16 years 6 months ago #47449 by nzimas
Replied by nzimas on topic Re:uddeIM 0.7b released
I see. That explains it.
Working now.

Next step.

How can i make the site url enclosed in the email notification message to render as a hyperlink and not plain text?
Can this this be cintrolled from the email notification template by simply wrapping the sie url variable in a hardcoded <a href?

In which file and around which line could i do that?

Professional Website: www.bittingbits.com

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn