[SOLVED] Only works on homepage

14 years 3 weeks ago #129898 by thetafferboy
[SOLVED] Only works on homepage was created by thetafferboy
Hi,

The installation of CB Facebook connect went well, however the Sign In / Link button only works when the user is on the homepage.

At other times clicking sign in / link followed by "connect" (in the popup) produced a 404 (it seems it is trying to access www.mysite.com/currenturl/index.php).

I use 404SEF but I don't know where to start tracking down the problem. Is it a 404SEF issue, how I have setup the Facebook app or something else?

My site is www.thescubasite.com

Thanks

Post edited by: thetafferboy, at: 2010/04/12 02:03

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/04/13 18:30

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 3 weeks ago #129913 by thetafferboy
Replied by thetafferboy on topic Re:Only works on homepage
Looking closer at what's going on, it seems the FBC plugin is simply adding "index.php?bunchofstuff" onto whatever URL the user is currently on.

This of course, work's fine when you're on the homepage, but when you are not on the homepage, SEF404 can't handle it as there is junk in the way.

Seems as if FBC needs to kick back to homepage after the user has hit "connect".

Any ideas?

14 years 3 weeks ago #129936 by thetafferboy
Okay, I resolved this by editing the source code on the fbconnect plugin.

If anyone wants to know I simply edited the reference to index.php and made it an absolute URL from the homepage.

So now, once you login, you get kicked back to the homepage. Better than nothing, unless anyone has a more refined fix.

14 years 3 weeks ago #129977 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Only works on homepage
Care to be more specific as to what was edited? FBC uses external links, you should not be SEFing it. It is coded for Joomla to not SEF. You need to also do so for your 3rd party extension, which SEFs everything from here to the sun (NOT GOOD!).

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/04/12 16:53

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 3 weeks ago #129984 by thetafferboy
I don't know if I was clear: I'm SEFing com_profiler, not the facebook connect plugin specifically, but if I understand correctly (probably not) the Facebook connect works as part of com_profiler, which is part of Community Builder which 404SEF plays very nicely with.

The only way I could disable SEF URLs with Facebook connect (as far as I understand) is to go into "by component" management and disable it for com_profiler, which unfortunately then means I lose SEF urls for account creation, viewing user accounts and various other parts of the site.

Generally, even not thinking about SEO, 404SEF produces much better URLs for users. 404SEF does handle all of the URLs on my site, I don't understand why this is a "not good" thing - can you give an example (from a user/SEO point of view) where I would benefit not using SEF urls? Everything apart from this plugin as functioned correctly up until now.

In reference to specifically what I edited, I edited the plug_cbfacebookconnect/cb.facebookconnect.php and simply replaced *all* references to "index.php/whatever/" to "www.thescubasite.com/index.php/whatever"

Everything seems to be functioning okay, as I said before.

More info on above question on usage/non-usage of SEF URLs would be great and how they can play with com_profiler/fbc

Post edited by: thetafferboy, at: 2010/04/12 17:10

Post edited by: thetafferboy, at: 2010/04/12 17:12

14 years 2 weeks ago #130137 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Only works on homepage
A lot of plugins use the same behavior as your livesite should automatically be appended to the URL without the need of having it set within the code it self. From sounds of it your URL Rewrite or SEF extension need a little reworking. Am not marking as a bug, but will leave to users to adjust at their own descretion. We typically only support Joomla SEF (which the code is designed for); however 3rd party SEF doesn't respect the same usage and SEFs ALL urls, which isn't good. Only those designed to SEF should SEF (which FBC links are not). At any rate thank you for sharing your work around for future users with similar issues using 404SEF.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 1.079 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn