Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Using FBConnect plugin with PROMA ?

• big_rich
  • big_rich
13 years 7 months ago #144676 by big_rich
Hi,

Just installed the facebook connect plugin as per the comprehensive documentation.

When I tried joining my site via the facebook button an account was created correctly BUT with a totaly blank profile (no menues, no tabs nothing)both in the front and back ends.

After a bit of hunting round the back end I realised it was because I am using PROMA (Profile Manager) with 3 Profile types enabled. Obviously there is no registration procedure so the new user doesn't select a profile type.

Once I gave the user a profile type then everything is exactly as it should be and works perfectly, obviously this largely defeats the object of the facebook connect since the new user gets a useless account on the site.

Is there any solution for this ?

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/10/27 20:04

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
13 years 7 months ago #144697 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Using FBConnect plugin with PROMA ?
Sorry, I have no idea how PROMA works, but my guess would be that PROMA needs to have a default profile type that is to be used if none is specifically selected.

• big_rich
  • big_rich
13 years 7 months ago #144700 by big_rich
Replied by big_rich on topic Re:Using FBConnect plugin with PROMA ?
Wow - I didn't expect to get a reply during the weekend !

You're right,

You can set it up so that new users get a default profile on registering and then change them to a different profile type later. I think that doing so kinda defeats the whole point of facebook connect tho since you end up with more steps in the registration process rather than less !

I wondered if it was possible to incorperate the facebook connect button into the CB registration form . In that way when a new user tries to register, First they get the Profile type options from PROMA (as now) and then the CB registration form which would have the option of either using FBconnect or filling in your details by hand ?

Meanwhile, I've tried enabling the plugin only for registered users in the hope that they can use it to log in once they´ve created their account. But it throws up an error that the facebook email coincides with one already in the userlist. I guess theres no way round that tho ?

I imagine I'll just have to forget about facebook connect. Shame tho coz the plugin works perfectly.

Have a good weekend.

Thanks

Post edited by: big_rich, at: 2010/10/23 13:51

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 7 months ago #144770 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Using FBConnect plugin with PROMA ?
FBC is not designed with PROMA in mind, it's open source so feel free to edit as needed however please don't tamper with source and request help if it ends up broken. At any rate the absolute sole purpose of FBC is single sign-on for Facebook users, this brings potential market of millions of users to your site. If it were me I'd choose FBC over PROMA any day if was an either/or scenario. It's simply just too hard to compete with Facebooks numbers. At any rate, best of luck.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• big_rich
  • big_rich
13 years 7 months ago #144867 by big_rich
Replied by big_rich on topic Re:Using FBConnect plugin with PROMA ?
Thanks Kyle,

The CB / PROMA combination is fundamental in how my site works.

Maybe I should think about changing over to CBsubs which I believe also allows the creation of different profile types which can be selected by the user during registration - right ?

In which case, how does it integrate with fbconnect ? (I don't mean the coding - rather what does it show the user ? )

Post edited by: big_rich, at: 2010/10/26 11:32

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 6 months ago #144887 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Using FBConnect plugin with PROMA ?

Maybe I should think about changing over to CBsubs which I believe also allows the creation of different profile types which can be selected by the user during registration - right ?

CBSubs can certainly create unique profile types by hiding/showing fields/tabs based on subscription. This also allows for unique registration forms based on the plan selection as well. You do not need to charge users as your plans can be Free if you want.

In which case, how does it integrate with fbconnect ? (I don't mean the coding - rather what does it show the user ? )

FBC works perfectly fine with CBSubs, but it does not assign them to any plan or allow a plan selection this is because there is no registration process. FBC users are created and logged in immediately. They would need to select a plan AFTER logging in and going to their profiles.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/10/26 15:58

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon