Unable to upgrade

13 years 3 months ago #148434 by larryl
Unable to upgrade was created by larryl
Joomla 1.5.21, CB 1.2.3 upgrading to 1.3.1. I changed permissions on all the directories and still get this error on uploading and installing com_comprofiler.zip:
JFolder::create: Could not create directory
Warning! Failed to move file

What am I missing?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #148586 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Unable to upgrade
If you're receiving this with CB you should be for any other extension you attempt to install. The error from Joomla is extremely vague so it's difficult to debug. Are you experiencing this issue with any other extensions? Please review the below thread on Joomla.org concerning this issue. Numerous fix proposals are made which would be worth while to try.

forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=1163820

A few quotes of user responses as is a very large thread (apparently a very obvious issue with Joomla).

In my case, the solution is very simple: I change temp path from "public_html/tmp" to "/tmp", and it fixes it.

If Joomla only has 'Public permissions' and not 'Ownership permissions' then it is dangerous to alter the 'Public permissions' to get it to work properly.

Turns out Plesk defaulted to Safe Mode on and therefore this caused the JFolder::create: Could not create directory. Permissions, ownership, clearing temp directories, nothing worked. I tried everything, debug mode, owned by Apache, root, 777 everything, nothing worked.

safe mode was the issue and it was easily missed since we didn't do an install. We simply moved the site and created new databases.

I went in through FTP and edited the configuration.php file (back it up first!) to point the temp directory to /tmp. (I stripped out the leading path and left only /tmp.)

There are many more, please review the thread closely.

Please note this problem seams to happen based off HOW you installed Joomla causing default permissions and configuration to be wrong. Some control panels such as Plesk, cPanel, etc... can cause the install to be incorrect. Performing a manual install through FTP upload (this is important so permissions are preserved) then install procedures in Joomla typically avoids such issues.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 1.085 seconds