[SOLVED] Looking to manage users

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #150281 by ghanlon
[SOLVED] Looking to manage users was created by ghanlon
I hope I am in the right place.
I am working with Joomla 1.5.22 Native

What I am trying to do is manage user (students), so that when they login, they will be able to see only information pertaining to them.

example:
User A logs in, and they can see normal registered users items PLUS anything for User A only, and not User B.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Would this be something that Community Builder would solve for me?

UPDATE:
Okay, I now have community builder up and running.
I am hoping someone can steer me in the correct direction.

Where should I look to secure data, so only userA can see their own items.

What I have is a small group of students, and when they login I want them to only see the menu items that pertain to them, and not userB or userC, etc.

Is there already a plugin that will do this?

Thanks in advance.

George

Post edited by: ghanlon, at: 2011/01/07 16:16

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #150362 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Looking to manage users
CB doesn't control menu accesses, sounds like this is something you'd need CBSubs for and have to create a plan for each user. Otherwise you'll need custom development to accomplish what you're wanting.

To restrict users to only their profiles you'll for sure need custom code either by new plugin using triggers (recommended) or core edits (not recommended) to redirect away from other users profiles.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #150365 by ghanlon
Replied by ghanlon on topic Re:Looking to manage users
Thanks for your reply.

I feel like I am almost there, but there is a forest in front of me.

if each user has their own id say $user
and if each user also has a matching category,
what I think will work is I create a menu item, that is catagory blog layout, and select my subject/catagory.

but instead of catagory, I would like to insert variable for userid (section/userid)

thus grabing the correct catagory since they match

would this not work just like saying your profile

where it shows you only your profile, and when someone else logs on it shows their's etc.
only with articals now...

I was thinking maybe in the admin.categories.php

sounding more like a joomla hack almost..

am I close or still out in left field somewhere?

Thanks again.

13 years 3 months ago #150507 by krileon
Not sure what more to advise. You're probably going to need a custom extension to accomplish your needs. Don't understand the purpose if no one but themselves can read them though.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #150552 by ghanlon
Replied by ghanlon on topic Re:Looking to manage users
Is there an extension already existing, and if so where can I get it and how much would it cost. etc.

The purpose it trying to create the ability for users/students to view their own lessons. They login, and can click on their lessons, and see only what the instructor has provided for them to see.

13 years 3 months ago #150557 by krileon
I've no idea. Never heard of such a scenario in the past 2+ years. Perhaps check Joomla.org extension directory for something to fit your needs. More then likely you'll need to develop something your self.

What you're needing really seams like a Blog type extension which our Advanced subscriber CB ProfileBook can offer a Blog tab or our Professional subscriber CB Blogs can offer a full fledged blog for users.

The Articles tab on users profiles will display the articles the user owns. This means in backend you could add the Lessons and set the Author as the user that the lessons belong to. They won't be able to edit the lessons of course as they're just Registered users, but they'll show on their profile and be specific to them.

An CMS more suited for what you're wanting is called Moodle, I recommend giving it a review as it's designed for School type systems to provide online lessons, etc...

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghanlon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn