Reconfirm e-mail plugin for Community Builder not working on Joomla 4

1 year 10 months ago #329785 by ch01
Hi

Regarding Reconfirm e-mail plugin for Community Builder
Change of e-mail front end by registered users working fine before installation of plugin

Installed the extension reconfirm e-mail for Community builder.
Tested it out
At the profile when the e-mail is changed in front end by registered user, the e-mail remains same as previous
the e-mail is sent to the new e-mail address and link provided to confirm the new e-mail, but still remains the same as the old...
also noted, with the plugin, the warning that an e-mail is already in use to not show...

Note:
Running on Joomla 4 (4.1.5)
If this has any bearing on the subject, this has been tried with CB Bootstrap on and off, same result...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1 year 9 months ago #329794 by krileon
Don't understand the issue. Appears to be working fine for me as follows.

1. Go to profile edit
2. Change email address
3. Email address remains unchanged
4. Confirmation email is sent
5. Confirmed change
6. Email is now changed

The email address attached to their profile will not change until they've confirmed the change.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 9 months ago #329801 by ch01
Hi

Apologies, i should have explained the issue somewhat more in detail, was a bit tired when initially raising the post

Steps 1-2 yes
Step 3 issue if a already used e-mail is entered
Step 4 yes
Step 6, issue if not already logged in

What happens
After activation of e-mail link, the user gets directed to login
after login and going to the profile, the e-mail appear still as the old...
Now
If the user while logged in activate the e-mail link a second tap opens up with a message the e-mail is changed
and in this case it is, but to being logged in should not be required for this to work...
the function should be insured similar to first registration e-mail and approval first time as a user register.
The other issue mentioned:
Part of various testing before rollout of the reconfirmation function also tried to use an exiting e-mail already in use,
Yes you are warned, but this is after the other already in use e-mail user has received the e-mail link for change and only
after the other users e-mail has activated the link
(and if the simultaneously if the first user who wrongly entered the e-mail are logged in, back to the issue above...)
The point was that the user get no warning when trying to enter an already used e-mail and save when the plugin is activated,
when the plugin is unpublished a warning appear immediately when trying to save.
In my opinion It's a bug or overseen design, whatever it's called, that reconfirmation of email does not work if the user
is not logged in at same time and using the link again, and is allowed to enter an already used e-mail for processing the confirmation
link flow.

1 year 9 months ago #329821 by krileon
The reconfirmation check does not require them to be logged in. The only reason for that to happen is the Itemid in the confirmation code URL is linking to a Joomla menu item that is set to Registered or higher. As we explicitly state in menu creation and in documentation you MUST have a public and published Joomla menu link to CBs profile page. That's so we can ensure public access URLs remain public access.

The only bug I'm seeing is if you try to change your email to an already registered email address. That does need fixed and have added a bug ticket to fix it.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/8979

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #329977 by ch01
Thanks for the clarification, and for your valuable feedback, this is much appreciated

Noted the issue of using an exiting e-mail is added to future bug fixing :-)

For the requirement of menu item published
It was not clear clear for me that it's not enough the profile has a public menu, seems also requires the edit profile need to be a public menu,
after I did this change I managed to get it working a few times, but I can not obtain a consistent outcome at testing, maybe some log/stored
process information is creating an issue, when repeat change between 2-3 various e-mails.

The behavior is different than at registry, here the user are informed at the browser page that the e-mail is registered (without login), and works
without any hiccups every time/consistent performance, as for the plugin re-confirm e-mail it appear inconsistent/some situations it does fail...
Also looks like for the re-confirm plugin, if the user makes a clerical mistake when entering a new e-mail, and such e-mail with the clerical mistake do exist, such person would in some situations be automatically logged in and hereby directly granted log in and hereby having access to the user's personal profile information, no matter view settings or privacy etc.,
and looks like if the users changes back to the previous existing e-mail (regrets after the change to a new e-mail is done) the system does apparently not populate (or not consistently) a new confirmation e-mail...

It might just be me testing various menu setups in backend and subsequent for each is testing e-mail change 3-4-times in a row in front end as a user is creating some errors, or it's me as idiotic fail-40 error, bottom line is I experience an inconsistent outcome at using the re-confirm module, and sorry to say are forced to unpublish this particular module for now....

CB 2.7.3 / re-confirm plugin 4.1.1+build.2021.07.26.… / Win 10 21H2 / Edge / Joomla 4.1.5, Cassiopeia, all HTTPS / Cpanel 102.0_19 / PHP 7.40.30 / MySql 10.3.35 / Apache 2.4.54

1 year 9 months ago #329992 by krileon

It was not clear clear for me that it's not enough the profile has a public menu, seems also requires the edit profile need to be a public menu,
after I did this change I managed to get it working a few times, but I can not obtain a consistent outcome at testing, maybe some log/stored
process information is creating an issue, when repeat change between 2-3 various e-mails.

CB Reconfirm Email does not use the profile edit menu. It uses the first menu item to profiles for its Itemid, which should be public. Will review adding menutypes for CB Reconfirm Email endpoints so they can be customized more specifically.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/8988

Also looks like for the re-confirm plugin, if the user makes a clerical mistake when entering a new e-mail, and such e-mail with the clerical mistake do exist, such person would in some situations be automatically logged in and hereby directly granted log in and hereby having access to the user's personal profile information, no matter view settings or privacy etc.,

There is no way to "steal" a login with CB Reconfirm Email. You can't change your email address to an already existing one. It will just fail and tell you as much. Please do not make clearly false statements like that.

and looks like if the users changes back to the previous existing e-mail (regrets after the change to a new e-mail is done) the system does apparently not populate (or not consistently) a new confirmation e-mail...

It absolutely does. If you change your email address, confirm it, then change it back you must also confirm it again. This has been well thoroughly tested.

If you try to confirm changing an email address to one already in use then the email address will not confirm and was never changed. That is the bug that needs fixing. It should just error during profile edit instead of wasting your time trying to confirm a change that can't be changed.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn