[SOLVED] Wrong enc. for text from EditorTextArea?

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 1 month ago #154505 by frodeg
I have a system running Linux (defaults to utf-8) running Joomla 1.0.15 (using iso-8859-1).
Everything worked fine with CommunityBuilder 1.2, but as a preparation for upgrading to Joomla 1.5.x, I upgraded to CommunityBuilder 1.3.1 (and later to 1.4, same problem)

What is happening is that when changing text in the cb_aboutme (a Editor Text Area), the system end up saving utf-8-encoded text into the iso-8859-1 field (and 'ø' is stored as 'ø').

Joomla 1.0.15 uses an old version of TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor, but I think the problem is that CommunityBuilder uses wrong encoding when getting text from the editor. If I modify the profile settings to use No WYSIWYG Editor, text is stored as correct iso-8859-1, but most of my users are not able to handle HTML themselves.

I have a separate test-environment where I can debug. If anyone can point me to the point where CommunityBuilder get text from the WYSIWYG editor, or even better, knows how to fix this issue, I would be very happy..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #154512 by beat
CB really uses the encoding of the site (as defined in the joomla language in joomla 1.0).

There are no conversions at save time inside CB as far as i can remember.

However if you use ajax-type updates, ajax calls are always UTF-8, so it might be another plugin that causes this ?

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

13 years 2 months ago #154572 by frodeg
I have now disabled all but CB Core and CB Menu plugins, uninstalled the Norwegian language file, and the problem still exists..

I still don't know where the utf-8 text comes from, it might just as well be a problem with the TinyMCE editor, which is why I'm asking for a relevant place to insert a javascript alert for debugging purposes. (I have added alerts quite a few places now, all of them returning the wrong text, which is why I want to check the value immediately after it is returned from TinyMCE)

13 years 2 months ago #154641 by krileon
You mentioned it working without an editor, this would seam a problem with TinyMCE it self. If possible try another editor. CB doesn't handle the editors processing; this is done directly through Joomla API initiated by CB.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 1 month ago #154821 by frodeg
It isn't easy to find editors for Joomla 1.0.x anymore, but I installed latest version (at time of writing, 2.6.4.1) of the 2.6.x Series JoomlaFCK editor , and it works great!
Don't know why I didn't see this problem in the old CommunityBuilder version, but for me - problem solved.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn