CB 2.4.2 Issue - Account Email CB Thinks Is Duplicate Is NOT

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #312609 by bascherz
I have a particular user who is having an issue editing her profile. For whatever reason, CB will not allow the profile to be saved, claiming the account email is already in use. It isn't. I've queried the database and there is no other account email even close to it. I do have secondary (non-account) CB Email Address type fields setup on this site that are used for subscribing to email lists. One of those is very similar to this user's account email (same address with "m." prefixed to it). Because CB is likely confirming addresses across all Email Address fields are unique, I suppose this could be involved.

I have no idea how long this user has been having this issue, but she notified me of it last week. I even have my own Ajax query-based validation logic that indicates the email is available, and I am 100% certain that logic works. And, that logic DOES check all of those CB Email Address fields.

Not sure what to do about this. I certainly can't tell the user to change her email address. I have not heard from any other users regarding this issue, but it potentially could be affecting others. I suspect this could be a bug in the core CB email address validation logic.

I am open to suggestions. Providing a CB team member access to the site admin interface could be difficult, but I am willing to entertain the idea.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 9 months ago #312622 by krileon
What is the exact error the user is seeing? With it I can see where it's coming from in CB if it's coming from CB. It's possible you've a 3rd party Joomla extension acting on Joomla user store that is failing.

Because CB is likely confirming addresses across all Email Address fields are unique, I suppose this could be involved.

CB does not do this. We only confirm unique email address for the core email field. All other email fields are not checked for being unique.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 9 months ago #312625 by bascherz
Email address cannot be used more than once per member! (address@domain.com)

4 years 9 months ago #312633 by krileon
That is correct, but only for the core email field (field name of: email). This is a Joomla limitation. New email fields created in CB > Field Management do not check for duplicates unless you set "Enable Email checker" to Advanced, but this is only an ajax check for non-core email fields and is not form blocking (won't prevent profile edit submit).

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 9 months ago #312647 by bascherz
Well, something about this particular account will not allow its profile to be saved. I have no idea why. There is no duplicate or even near duplicate in the database.

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #312672 by krileon
The jQuery validation when set to Advanced will check for duplicates, but it's non-blocking (won't prevent it from saving). Joomla it self is responsible for checking and blocking duplicate core email. CB doesn't actually have a server side validation for duplicate email.

It is very likely something 3rd party. I am not finding the language string "Email address cannot be used more than once per member!" anywhere in CB or Joomla. My guess is a 3rd party User plugin within Extensions > Plugins. Possibly something like AcyMailing or any other newsletter extension. Joomlas error message for duplicate email is JLIB_DATABASE_ERROR_EMAIL_INUSE which is "The email address you entered is already in use. Please enter another email address." or COM_USERS_PROFILE_EMAIL1_MESSAGE which is "The email address you entered is already in use or invalid. Please enter another email address.".

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn