User register into different groups

12 years 6 months ago #178315 by hiya83
User register into different groups was created by hiya83
Hi, I apologize if this is a really trivial question. I am using CB with Joomla 1.6 and I am hoping to allow a user to pick from a few links. Depending on the link, he/she will get a different registration form which will then register the user into a corresponding user group which is different. Is there something to achieve this?

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #178395 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: User register into different groups

hiya83 wrote: Hi, I apologize if this is a really trivial question. I am using CB with Joomla 1.6 and I am hoping to allow a user to pick from a few links. Depending on the link, he/she will get a different registration form which will then register the user into a corresponding user group which is different. Is there something to achieve this?

Thanks!

If by user group you mean the Joomla ACL groups, then you would need extra code to do this.

CBSubs could probably go a long way towards what you want.

You can automatically add/remove users to a Joomla ACL group when the subscribe to a plan and each plan can have its own registration fields. (hiding others not needed).

12 years 6 months ago #178402 by hiya83
Replied by hiya83 on topic Re: User register into different groups
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response. Do you mean if I don't work with Joomla ACL groups, it's feasible w/o extra code. However, I am hoping to integrate VirtueMart or Magento in as well, so the ACL groups might still be the "best" way to go about with this. If I have to modify code, where would be a good starting point? I just need some direction and I should be able to patch things up (hopefully).

CBSubs definitely seems like a viable option; though the classification in my use case is pretty disjointed between different user groups, unlike the subscription model where each step up is a larger set of concentric features. Is CBSubs feasible for those scenarios?

Thanks!

12 years 6 months ago #178411 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: User register into different groups
its really difficult to suggest scenarios - even CBSubs - because I have no real knowledge of the use case you are thinking about.

You mentioned adding users to groups based on registration data - that could be done with GroupJive also.

And showing different fields on registration based on other selected fields can be done with CB Conditionals.
CBSubs is still an option also.

To write your own code to add people to different acl groups based on registration data - you would need to create a CB plugin if you are using CB.

Or some Joomla component I guess is not.

12 years 6 months ago #178414 by hiya83
Hi,

Thanks again for the suggestions. GroupJive is most likely not what I am looking for. CB conditionals can definitely be handy.

My scenario resembles several career matching websites out there: so a user can register to become either a seller or a buyer. Naturally the seller will need to purchase his/her membership functionality (which I guess CBSubs can be used for), and his/her profile will be focused towards advertising & selling his/her products. Whereas for the buyer, he/she will be able to register w/o a fee but his/her profile is much less detailed than that of the sellers since he/she will be browsing the sellers' items instead.

Given that, would you think CBSubs would still be ideal or would writing my custom plugin be the most flexible way forward?

Thanks!

12 years 6 months ago #178529 by hiya83
Hey Nick,

Any thoughts about the above?

Thanks!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn