One domain-two forks-separated communities

3 years 3 months ago #321797 by Ake2017
I want to merge two small, unrelated, and low intensity, communities into one domain.
E.g. "domain.com" (already existing) and "domain.com/OtherCommunity" to be created (more might come in the future).
My plan is to use a similar structure for both communities, e.g. more or less manually make again what I already have done once.
There is (for the users) no interaction between the two communities, rather the opposite (but isolation need not be watertight).
I really only plan a small button on the welcome page that reads "Continue to Other community"
(for those "others" that did not link directly to "domain.com/OtherCommunity")
All community members are basically known beforehand.
However, once logged into one of the communities, this community is what you see.
You see only THAT communities members, it's forum, it's image gallery etc.

My thinking is to use access control to limit access to "the other" community.
I'd appreciate any suggestions on how I should proceed.
The sites are not overly complex, neither will the traffic volume be high, but I hate running into some dead end halfway through.
A question - can I direct the users to different starting pages depending on who they are logged in as [Community or OtherCommunity?]

Any thoughts? Will my plan work? Any do's and don'ts that I should consider?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #321798 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic One domain-two forks-separated communities
Best approach would be to just have 1 site, point both domains to it, and use usergroups/view access levels to limit access to certain community sections. Try not to over think splitting the 2 communities with a hard line in the sand as Joomla isn't really made for trying to have 2 entirely different communities under 1 roof. If you need a hard separation of communities then don't try to do this to begin with and just have 2 separate Joomla installs.

A question - can I direct the users to different starting pages depending on who they are logged in as [Community or OtherCommunity?]

Yes, that's doable.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 3 months ago #321851 by Ake2017
Replied by Ake2017 on topic One domain-two forks-separated communities
Thanks,

As I am planning for more than two communities "under one roof" (all low volume and "not so valuable"), I believe that the solution with multiple Joomla installs would be to overdo it.

So, I take it that I will continue working along the lines that you suggest?

3 years 3 months ago #321893 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic One domain-two forks-separated communities
In that case yes I suggest just using ACL for separation, but again don't think of it as a hard separation of communities as some things you likely just will not be able to separate.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn