CB Auto Action - CB Activity

6 years 1 week ago #303759 by timstohr
CB Auto Action - CB Activity was created by timstohr
Hi Kyle,
How can I set it so that an auto action sends a notification to all connections?

I currently have it already that when a user joins an event (in a third party component), then it creates an activity entry which is only visible to other connections users.

Now, as far as I know, you have to create a push notification to for each person you send a notification to so do you have to loop the auto action (in my case, I have 500+ connections) so that may be quite a number...)?

Bit confused about this...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 1 week ago #303794 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Auto Action - CB Activity
Set User to Connections. It will then loop the action through all the connections of the user that triggered the action. Yes, you will have to create the notification 500+ times unless you create a single global notification (set Global parameter to 1). In the case of connections I don't think you've much of a choice but to replicate it 500+ times.

Replication is basically how notifications are handled in most activity streams. The problem with CB Activity is it doesn't use a relationship table. So the full notification row is replicated 500+ times instead of a simple 2 column table that says xyz user ids have access to xyz notification. A relationship table usage is planned in a later release so it'd create 1 notification and 500+ relationships to that notification, which would significantly reduce the SQL storage and speed up the process of notifying 500+ people.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 1 week ago #303797 by timstohr
Replied by timstohr on topic CB Auto Action - CB Activity
Hi Ok that with the auto action automatically looping it is nice...

Regarding the ticket you have just opened on the forge, I would like to add "when a person posts in a group"... I have groups with over 300 people in it... you can imagine what will happen if they get active all at once...

Thanks for the help!

6 years 1 week ago #303804 by krileon
GJ notifications are explicitly group access checked. They can't see the notification if they're not an active member of the group. What that means is you can send a global notification with an asset of "groupjive.group.GROUP_ID" for example and it'll only be visible to members of that group.

Regardless of this the database usage of CB Activity is well indexed and optimized (there's always room for improvement). You can have hundreds of thousands of notifications and it'll continue to work perfectly fine (I've personally tested 100,000 notifications; no performance loss). So don't be afraid to use replication, which will migrate to relationship table usage once implemented.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 1 week ago #303807 by timstohr
Replied by timstohr on topic CB Auto Action - CB Activity
Short questions...

Do I not have to set the button in ADVANCED option to Loop? Which variable do I have to loop?

Also, for some reason, it triggers twice.... can I not set the auto action to react on only one trigger instead of then updating 500+ notifications again?

6 years 1 week ago #303812 by krileon
You don't need to set any variables to loop. Simply set User to Connnections and it'll send the notification to the connections of the user that triggered the action. I guess depending on what trigger you're acting on it could be fired twice. You'd need to provide all the details regarding your auto action configuration for me to suggest anything further.

Also, for some reason, it triggers twice.... can I not set the auto action to react on only one trigger instead of then updating 500+ notifications again?

If you don't want duplicate notifications then be sure the "Load By" parameter is set how you want it to check for an existing entry. If it finds an existing entry it'll just update it instead of making a new one.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn