[SOLVED] CB Activity Error on update but no errors on page

2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #326265 by micheleq
Hi
I recently did an update on all CB items. Last update was June 6. All went fine, except CB Activity which gave a "SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0"

I tried again (this is my test server) and got the same results.

First try:

System Information
Joomla: 3.10.1
Community Builder: 2.6.0
PHP: 7.4.3
Database: mysql 5.7.28-log

Package
File: 036_plug_cbactivity_5.0.0+build.2021.08.20.13.40.22.585140ed5.zip
Log:
SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

Second try:

System Information
Community Builder: 2.6.2

Package
File: 036_plug_cbactivity_5.0.0+build.2021.08.20.13.40.22.585140ed5.zip
Log:
SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

The CB Activity Module installed OK.

System Information

Package
File: 003_mod_cbactivity_5.0.0+build.2021.08.20.13.40.22.585140ed5.zip
Log:
Displays CB Activity as a module.

CB Activity bot also installed OK:

Content - CB Activity
System Information

Package
File: 012_cbactivitybot_5.0.0+build.2021.08.20.13.40.22.585140ed5.zip
Log:
This plugin allows CB Activity streams to be displayed within content items using Community Builder substitutions or commenting for Joomla articles.

Here's my system info:

System Information
Setting Value

PHP Built On Linux server 5.4.0-58-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 9 08:16:25 UTC 2020 x86_64
Database Type mysql
Database Version 5.7.28-log
Database Collation utf8_general_ci
Database Connection Collation utf8mb4_general_ci
PHP Version 7.4.3
Web Server Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu)
WebServer to PHP Interface apache2handler
Joomla! Version Joomla! 3.10.1 Stable [ Daraja ] 22-August-2021 16:41 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version Joomla Platform 13.1.0 Stable [ Curiosity ] 24-Apr-2013 00:00 GMT

Interestingly enough, I did not see any errors on the plugin. Clicked and posted some replies, but did not test extensively.
It shows the latest package installed in the plugin management (version as noted above).

Should I be worried about installing in the live site?

Thanks
Tomás

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 7 months ago #326272 by beat
I just tried a new installation of CB Activity on a Joomla 3.10 test site, using CB plugin -> Install/upgrade -> Install from web with a site key, and it installed exact same version without any issues.

I always first upgrade Joomla to latest stable and Community Builder to latest nightly in CB Plugin -> Install/upgrade before upgrading extensions. "Upgrade All" normally does that too. I see different CB and Joomla versions above. Maybe that explains the issue ?

If you upgrade Community Builder: 2.6.0 to latest nightly build (2.6.2+build.2021.09.02.17.51.14.46caa5844 at this time) in CB Plugin -> Install/upgrade and re-try the installation over (just click the "Installed" button in CB Plugin -> Install/upgrade), do you have the same issue re-appearing ?

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
The following user(s) said Thank You: micheleq

2 years 7 months ago #326290 by krileon
Seams to be installing fine in my tests. Download CB Activity manually from our downloads page below.

www.joomlapolis.com/downloads

Next unzip the file and install 036_plug_cbactivity_5.0.0+build.2021.08.20.13.40.22.585140ed5.zip from /extensions/cb_plugins manually within CB > Plugin Management > Install New Plugin. See if there's any further information with the error output.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 7 months ago #326307 by micheleq
Hi Thank you for the quick replies!

I believe this is possibly some error stored in the db or a Collation error? Usually, when I do updates, the backup I pull right before becomes my development site. I do updates about once a month. Last one was on August 11. This error didn't show when I did the updates then, but is showing up on the dev site (copy of the site that updated OK). Can't figure that out.

I've also done updates on another site that did not give me the error, which has much less usage even though it is older (I saw on another post that a migration had left columns in a table and that caused update errors). Both these sites sit on the same server (exclusively) and use the same database host. On these updates I was also moving the database to a different server (and upgrading MySQL from 5.7 to 8). The confounding issue, is that the backup from August gave the error on the old db host (which that same site didn't when updated back then). The site with the error has heavy Kunena forum usage (1.5GB db) and also uses UddeIM, which the other site without the error does not.

I was being pressed by space and cost, so I ended up doing the move anyways and making the updates on the new server (MySQL 8) but got the same result, unfortunately.

On the bright side, I don't see any display errors, though I would expect it to show up somewhere for somebody, maybe for a particular page/post.

I always first upgrade Joomla to latest stable and Community Builder to latest nightly in CB Plugin -> Install/upgrade before upgrading extensions. "Upgrade All" normally does that too. I see different CB and Joomla versions above. Maybe that explains the issue ?

My process is usually do Joomla first, then all other extensions, then last CB by doing the "Upgrade all" button. That's why the difference in CB versions on both my tries. The second time trying CB Activity, CB had already updated.

At this point it seems a needle in a haystack, but if there was a way to find the place where the error happens (I've kept a copy of the site before the update), I might be able to do the fix manually.

Thanks,
Tomás

2 years 7 months ago #326312 by krileon
Only thing I can think of is maybe a 3rd party CB plugin is installed and has invalid main plugin XML file that's being loaded during install, but it doesn't make any sense for that to only happen to CB Activity. Your database shouldn't have anything to do with this though. It's entirely server side during an XML parsing. Very strange.

It however sounds like this isn't a problem anymore?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 7 months ago #326317 by micheleq
Hi Kyle,
The only extensions are Kunena, UddeIm, JComments, JDownloads, JEvents and JCE. I use a template from Rockettheme. There shouldn't be anything interfering that I can think of.
The CB Extensions that could interfere are: CB ProfileBook, CB AntiSpam, CB Profile Update Logger, CB Privacy, CB Gallery, CB Auto Actions, CB Forums, CB Articles, CB SQL.

Is there a way to know when the installation breaks, to I can track the specific place? It's the only thing I can think of doing, as I don't want this to snowball into something bigger.

At the moment, the only issue was the notice on installation. Users have been on the site now for about 5 days and no one has reported errors so far.
Thank you,
Tomás

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn