Potential bug in profile edit? Query field combined with field group

2 years 6 months ago #326641 by fkrauth
Hi!
I am experiencing the same unexpected behaviour on a live and test site. Both J3.10.2 and latest released CB core/plugins.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Have a field with query validation on the profile page. Ajax validation can be on or off. On my test page, I used a text field with query validation SELECT [value]=42 and ajax validation = on.
2. Have a fileld group below 1. On my test page a use a group of single-select dropdown fields with Value 1, Value 2, Value 3.
3. Fill field group with a selection of fields from dropdown and save profile.
4. Leave field with query validation empty or fill with a valid value. 42 on my test page. Save profile.

Provoking the unexpected behaviour:
5. Edit profile and enter a value in field with query validation that cannot be validated successully, e.g. 3 on my test page as 3 <>42.
6. Klick update.

Problem:
Field with query validation will be validated and throws an error message. But all fields in field group will also be deleted. If a user corrects the woring field now (e.g. by entering 42), all values from the field group will be removed.

Thanks!

Frank
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 6 months ago #326648 by krileon
It's likely the re-display issue. Repeat your test, but this time click Cancel after the validation error happens instead of correcting the field and clicking Update and see if your field group information remains. So steps as follows.

1. Update Profile w/ Valid Values
2. Update Profile w/ Invalid Values <- Validation Error
3. Cancel Profile Update
4. Check Profile Display

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 6 months ago #326655 by fkrauth
Hi!
Right! But I think there is still a problem.
If the user only wants to change the value of the query validated field and not the field group, the field group might be unintentionally saved with empty fields.

As if you want to change your email in a profile, get an error, you correct your error and press save. Later on you realize that your telephone number (or whatever) is gone. The user might just not check if all other fields are still there before pressing the save button.

What do you think?

Thanks
Frnak

2 years 6 months ago #326657 by krileon
It absolutely is a problem, but I was just making sure it wasn't a new problem. That issue is already documented below.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/8600

PHP side validation errors that reject the form save SHOULD be rare. Ideally all the validation happens client side and they don't have to be concerned with a save being rejected.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn