Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Facebook login

• ecarne
  • ecarne
13 years 1 month ago #158847 by ecarne
Facebook login was created by ecarne
I installed the Facebook plugin v1.3 (Community Builder 1.4 / SB Subs 1.1.2)
When I log in I get the message
"Error
This e-mail is already registered. If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link and a new password will be sent to you.
This e-mail is already registered. If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link and a new password will be sent to you."

This message is repeated bunches of times, and still doesn't login.
Suggestions???

Also, is this compatible with CB SUbs - I'd like our facebook users to come in at a specific plan. Is that possible?

Couldn't find anything in the docs on this.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
13 years 1 month ago #158856 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: Facebook login

ecarne wrote: I installed the Facebook plugin v1.3 (Community Builder 1.4 / SB Subs 1.1.2)
When I log in I get the message
"Error
This e-mail is already registered. If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link and a new password will be sent to you.
This e-mail is already registered. If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link and a new password will be sent to you."

This message is repeated bunches of times, and still doesn't login.
Suggestions???

Also, is this compatible with CB SUbs - I'd like our facebook users to come in at a specific plan. Is that possible?

Couldn't find anything in the docs on this.

Thanks

The message you are getting means that you are trying to login as a facebook user that has an email address which is already registered via the normal CB registration process.

If you want to connect this facebook account with the already registered user account, you would need to login first as the regular user then click the f-signin button on the CB login module. This will "connect" the facebook account to the already registered account.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Team_CSC_Ulrik

• ecarne
  • ecarne
13 years 1 month ago #158875 by ecarne
Replied by ecarne on topic Re: Facebook login
This is a bit of a problem then.
When users see the facebook login, they are likely to use it, and when they do, the system locks up for a while trying to resolve the conflict. Then they get a bunch of error messages that tell them they have an account.
It would be better if when someone logged in through facebook, and they already had a cb login, it would quickly come back with a single error message that instructs the guest to login through cb first to make the link. Otherwise, how do they know?

Also, can the new facebook visitors be automatically signed up for a specific plan w/ cbSubs? Ideally, we would want them all signed up at the free level so they get the newsletter, and free downloads that come w/ membership.

Thanks
Ed

• Tastiger
  • Tastiger
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #158905 by Tastiger
Replied by Tastiger on topic Re: Facebook login
Can I chime in on this thread as well and point out issues I am seeing?

I have had one error reported as described previously, and when trying to replicate the error, I used the facebook login button.

To my surprise a new user was created using my facebook username and also it bypassed the create an account page - which means you have people signing up without filling in the required fields.

If memory serves me correctly, the older version of this plugin the button changed and showed "link facebook" when logged into site - I am not seeing this anymore.

However of immediate concern is the ability of a facebook user to bypass all usual signup fields.

I think that this may also be an issue with the twitter login as well - which I will run some tests on....

At the moment I have deactivated both facebook and twitter logins as they do not seem to act as previous releases did and I agree with ecarne that the facebook login button is just too tempting for a user to click on rather than the usual login button and in the long run I can see that many new user accounts may be created as not everyone uses the same email account for facebook as they do for other sites.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Tastiger.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 1 month ago #158994 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Facebook login

Otherwise, how do they know?

They know by it telling them the email is already registered. It's a message you are capable of changing via language strings as well. It should not be repeated multiple times unless something is conflicting and causing a redirect or cookie clear to fail.

Also, can the new facebook visitors be automatically signed up for a specific plan w/ cbSubs? Ideally, we would want them all signed up at the free level so they get the newsletter, and free downloads that come w/ membership.

No, there's no interaction with CBSubs. CBSubs has not yet made an API available so at this time it will not be integrated (direct database queries are not acceptable either).

To my surprise a new user was created using my facebook username and also it bypassed the create an account page - which means you have people signing up without filling in the required fields.

This is EXACTLY what FBC does. It's 1 click sign in for Facebook users.

If memory serves me correctly, the older version of this plugin the button changed and showed "link facebook" when logged into site - I am not seeing this anymore.

Button is generalized as "Sign in". Login check was too unreliable and removed as well as heavy API usage to perform. In addition to this latest releases are 100% different from initial release (completely rewritten).

I think that this may also be an issue with the twitter login as well - which I will run some tests on....

Twitter plugin is exactly the same providing 1 click sign in for Twitter users.

FBC and Twitter are not for everyone. It either fits your needs or it does not. It is open source however and you're free to edit as you see fit. FBC and Twitter bother provide a million+ user market to your site with a single click. With that comes new management responsibilities of course, but you must weigh the benefits to the losses. Yes it'll require managing the site a little bit more, but your user base potential is quite large.

As for required fields I don't see this being a problem, user won't be able to complete profile update unless they fill in those required fields. You combine FBC with incubator project CB Progress Field and CB Triggers where it can force redirect to profile edit until required fields are completed and you've problem solved for instance. There are many possibilities such as even editing the plugin it self to meet your specific needs.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• ecarne
  • ecarne
13 years 1 month ago #159057 by ecarne
Replied by ecarne on topic Re: Facebook login
Could the problem that is causing a re-direct and the multiple login errors be CBSubs?
Are you working on connecting this with CBSubs? Until it has that functionality, I can't use it. The only way to get access to the free part of the site is to log in and select the "free" membership level. If they choose not to select that level and take a generic default they will have no access to the site. Oh well.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon