Google say: "Helping users fill out online forms" - use autocomplete="email", etc

8 years 10 months ago #264519 by great

A lot of websites rely on forms for important goals completion, such as completing a transaction on a shopping site or registering on a news site. For many users, online forms mean repeatedly typing common information like their names, emails, phone numbers or addresses, on different sites across the web. In addition to being tedious, this task is also error-prone, which can lead many users to abandon the flow entirely. In a world where users browse the internet using their mobile devices more than their laptops or desktops, having forms that are easy and quick to fill out is crucial! Three years ago, we announced the support for a new “autocomplete” attribute in Chrome, to make form-filling faster, easier and smarter. Now, Chrome fully supports the "autocomplete" attribute for form fields according to the current WHATWG HTML Standard. This allows webmasters and web developers to label input element fields with common data types, such as ‘name’ or ‘street-address’, without changing the user interface or the backend. Numerous webmasters have increased the rate of form completions on their sites by marking up their forms for auto-completion.

For example, marking up an email address field on a form to allow auto-completion would look like this (with a full sample form available):
<input type="email" name="customerEmail" autocomplete="email"/>

Making websites friendly and easy to browse for users on mobile devices is very important. We hope to see many forms marked up with the “autocomplete” attribute in the future. For more information, you can check out our specifications about Label and name inputs in Web Fundamentals. And as usual, if you have any questions, please post in our Webmasters Help Forums.

source: googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2015/03/helping-users-fill-out-online-forms.html

i see, CB no use autocomplete="email" and other tag on registration and login page.

i see this code in CB right now:
<input data-hasqtip="8" kl_virtual_keyboard_secure_input="on" aria-required="true" name="email" id="email" value="" class="cbTooltip required form-control" data-rule-email="true" size="25" type="text">

please add in next CB version, tag "autocomplete" for forms.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 10 months ago #264525 by krileon
We'll be adding autocomplete among many other features to fields in the future. Right now field code is basically feature-freeze. The reason for this is it's, very, legacy code that we do not want to keep piling code onto it, which will make refactoring just that much more complicated.

Once we've refactored all of our field code into better usable classes we can implement more features like better placeholder control (we've placeholder implemented, but it could be improved), better layout support (also implemented, but room for improvement), better custom validation, input masking, and more.

For now there's a couple of solutions you can use until we've refactored (probably won't be for awhile; maybe even as late as CB 3.0). You can use the profile edit layout to completely override the HTML of the input. You can use CB Auto Actions and its Code action to add jQuery to the page and that jQuery would add the autocomplete attribute.

While the workarounds are maybe not the most ideal they will work. It's the best I can suggest for now as it's unreasonable to pile legacy code on top of legacy code when we've significantly bigger plans for the field code.

Please also stop with these "Google Says" topics. Simply suggest what you'd like. There's no need to copy-paste us Google Webmaster blog entries. I'll be frank in that it's a bit insulting. It insinuates we don't know this already or don't know what we're doing. We're well aware of HTML5 features, which only recently became standard in modern browsers (many browsers still don't support various HTML5 features). We've been in this business for many many years and coding for many more.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

8 years 10 months ago #264552 by great

krileon wrote: We'll be adding autocomplete among many other features to fields in the future. Right now field code is basically feature-freeze. The reason for this is it's, very, legacy code that we do not want to keep piling code onto it, which will make refactoring just that much more complicated.

Once we've refactored all of our field code into better usable classes we can implement more features like better placeholder control (we've placeholder implemented, but it could be improved), better layout support (also implemented, but room for improvement), better custom validation, input masking, and more.

cool

krileon wrote: For now there's a couple of solutions you can use until we've refactored (probably won't be for awhile; maybe even as late as CB 3.0). You can use the profile edit layout to completely override the HTML of the input. You can use CB Auto Actions and its Code action to add jQuery to the page and that jQuery would add the autocomplete attribute.

While the workarounds are maybe not the most ideal they will work. It's the best I can suggest for now as it's unreasonable to pile legacy code on top of legacy code when we've significantly bigger plans for the field code.

Please also stop with these "Google Says" topics. Simply suggest what you'd like. There's no need to copy-paste us Google Webmaster blog entries. I'll be frank in that it's a bit insulting. It insinuates we don't know this already or don't know what we're doing. We're well aware of HTML5 features, which only recently became standard in modern browsers (many browsers still don't support various HTML5 features). We've been in this business for many many years and coding for many more.

i'm shocking... this is just html code and user can add this code by default, without write php-code or javascript..

krileon wrote: Please also stop with these "Google Says" topics. Simply suggest what you'd like. There's no need to copy-paste us Google Webmaster blog entries. I'll be frank in that it's a bit insulting. It insinuates we don't know this already or don't know what we're doing. We're well aware of HTML5 features, which only recently became standard in modern browsers (many browsers still don't support various HTML5 features). We've been in this business for many many years and coding for many more.

when i'm say about Google - i'm no mean about something, what you write here.

i'm just create new theme, where i talk about this new cool thing. and i'm really want this "autocomplete" attribute, because people from PC and mobile gadgets really no love every time write by hand e-mail, login, name, etc.

if all forms support "autocomplete", this is really can increase numbers of new registration on site.

i'm understand, you freeze code for CB at this time, but even Joomla sometimes doing exclude, and some new features was included in Joomla 2.5, when code was freeze. this is really can help with new user registration, because at this time, people really login with Social Networks and if social login no include in registration form, people probably no sign up to your site. this is no 2007 anymore, this is 2015 :unsure:

so... i'm use CB component since Joomla 1.5, since 2007 or 2008. this is good component, but some things really need include at this time.

Joomla and other CMS lost new users on marketplace, because another places can fastly include new features in their systems. and if Joomla lost users, CB also lost users, who chose another solution for publishing content on web :dry:

and when i'm add Google to my message - i'm referring to authority source (proof link), because that Google in the search market monopoly (more than 70% on search marketplace).

so, i respect CB team. don't worry about it.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn