[#7092] Custom HTML Field Layout Options

6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 4 weeks ago #303087 by bascherz
All fields have choices as to whether to display them or not during registration, on the profile, and/or in the profile editor as 1 or 2 lines, with or without title. All fields also have a bunch of layout boxes to allow different formatting for each of these cases. Except Custom HTML fields. This is somewhat of an issue.

With Custom HTML fields, to get different layouts you have to duplicate the field, each instance with the same basic information and different formatting. This can be problematic if you want the field to be usable in user lists because it has to appear on the profile. So if you want it to appear on the profile with no title but, instead, a custom label, that label will appear in the user list like it or not.

Why not have the same layout options for Custom HTML and just substitute the code in the HTML edit field for [value] in the display boxes? This would give extremely flexible formatting and display options and avoids having to create duplicate Custom HTML fields to get around this limitation.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Well, I feel stupid. The Code Field does the job quite nicely without any code (just layouts). So it's already got what I asked for.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 4 weeks ago #303138 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Custom HTML Field Layout Options
Custom HTML fields actually have a special substitution to cover the layout cases. $reason determines location, which can be list, register, edit, profile, and search. You can substitute it in with [reason]. You can also use IF substitutions to condition content to show at a specific location. Example as follows.

[cb:if reason="edit"]Display on profile edit only.[/cb:if]

I've added a feature ticket to clarify usage of [reason] for Custom HTML fields description as it isn't mentioned anywhere.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7092

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

6 years 4 weeks ago #303148 by bascherz
Replied by bascherz on topic Custom HTML Field Layout Options
Cool. Thanks!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn