Activity And GroupJive

5 years 4 months ago #308602 by AlanJones
Replied by AlanJones on topic Activity And GroupJive
I cannot seem to get this auto actions to send emails anymore. What should the parameters be?

I have "CB Activity - Post Notification" copied and enabled. It's type has been set to "email"

• If I wanted all users in a group to be notified via email when someone posted on the wall, what would the "to" substitution be?
  • If I wanted to make the subject read [user] has posted on [group] is this substitution correct?

Own Your Own Community!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #308623 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Activity And GroupJive

If I wanted all users in a group to be notified via email when someone posted on the wall, what would the "to" substitution be?

If it's a direct copy of "CB Activity - Post Notification" then you'd set To to [var2_user_id].

If I wanted to make the subject read [user] has posted on [group] is this substitution correct?

No, neither of those substitutions exist here. You'd have to use [username] for their username for example, but there is no access to what GJ group it was posted on unless the source object is available and if it is you'd use [var2_name] for group name.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 11 months ago #311623 by victoriakim
Replied by victoriakim on topic Activity And GroupJive
Sending group post notification via email is a critical feature for my site too, though I have more questions to set this up.

But the first thing I should find out is ... Will group users be able to opt-out, if they want to, from post notifications generated from the auto action?

4 years 11 months ago #311629 by krileon

Will group users be able to opt-out, if they want to, from post notifications generated from the auto action?

If you add a condition to your auto action to check the value of a field like a lot of the notification system actions do then yes. If you mean on a per group basis then no.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: victoriakim

3 years 11 months ago #317646 by AlanJones
Replied by AlanJones on topic Activity And GroupJive
OK, I can probably work with that with a link in the e-mail notification to the Activity wall. That's an easy way for the user to interact.
I'm with you in terms of giving reason to engage on the site. Just frustrated we can't get web notifications working in Chrome on a Mac.

Just an idea, maybe you guys could make a downloadable Joomla install with CB configured to give GJ notifications as you envisioned them working. That may save a lot of Q&A time?

But I think I can make this work. Thank you!!

Own Your Own Community!

3 years 11 months ago #317647 by krileon

Just an idea, maybe you guys could make a downloadable Joomla install with CB configured to give GJ notifications as you envisioned them working. That may save a lot of Q&A time?

We already did with CB Quickstart. The notifications are converted to CB Activity notifications, but if you don't want to use CB Quickstart you can enable the respective system actions in CB Auto Actions > System Actions.

Spamming people with emails about activity is not recommended. Statistically it doesn't get them engaged and often just annoys them causing them to mark the domain as spam and blacklisting you on major email providers. Your site itself should be well designed to keep people engaged and want to come back. Weekly newsletter of some kind should be the extent of the emails you send out. There are plans for CB Activity to be able to send a notification "digest" in a future release to let them know what they're missing, but that's not implemented yet. We also plan to eventually support push notifications.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn